changing from 64 bit to 32 system

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
how do i change from a 64 bit windows 7 system to 32 bit system?
The question is; why do want to change? Virtually ALL 32-bit applications will run on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

IF you do want to change it, you have to do a clean install and reformat of your hard drive to accomplish this. There is no other way around it due to the nature of the system kernals.

You'll also need to download prior to install all the necessary 32-bit drivers for you motherboard, sound, video, and any other hardware such as printer, scanner, etc., then save them to an external hard drive, thumb drive or burn to a CD-RW disc.

Reaction score
found another post that suggested using a 32 bit browser, i run Mozzila and cant use flash player. now to find out how to do that im assuming that im using as 64 bit browser now

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is a 64-bit beta flash player you can use.
-and/or-
You can also install FireFox's 32bit application (on your 64-bit OS) and then get flash. (Seems back when I installed FireFox I got the 32-bit by default but anyway it should be there)

Both will work fine without the extreme of changing OS bit-size.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
found another post that suggested using a 32 bit browser, i run Mozzila and cant use flash player. now to find out how to do that im assuming that im using as 64 bit browser now
If your Firefox browser says "Firefox" then it's the 32-bit version. If it states "Minefield" then it's the 64-bit version.

You may just need to download the Flash add-on for your browser.

Reaction score
The question is; why do want to change? Virtually ALL 32-bit applications will run on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

IF you do want to change it, you have to do a clean install and reformat of your hard drive to accomplish this. There is no other way around it due to the nature of the system kernals.

You'll also need to download prior to install all the necessary 32-bit drivers for you motherboard, sound, video, and any other hardware such as printer, scanner, etc., then save them to an external hard drive, thumb drive or burn to a CD-RW disc.
hmm, if i don't download the 32-bit drives, will it crash or cease to work? or? I'm really green on this field and don't know how to to it actually...

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing is, as Niburu allready sai, why do you want to change? Nearly all 32bit apps run on a 64bit OS without any problems.

If you try to install 32bit drivers for WIndows 7 64bit, it won't work ;) That has to be the only real exception. But if you had your comp with 64bit on it to start with, proper drivers should be available.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
hmm, if i don't download the 32-bit drives, will it crash or cease to work? or? I'm really green on this field and don't know how to to it actually...
I still believe you would be better off fixing your browser issues while staying 64-bit BUT ... I don't like leaving unanswered questions if I think I can answer them.

If you install 32-bit W7 it means a complete and total reinstall so everything you don't back up is lost. None of the 64-drivers will work in the 32-bit OS. Most of the drivers will be installed by W7 automatically; it will try to load default drivers from the disc and then update from it's database online once connected. the problem is that Microsoft's drivers aren't always as current as the manufacturers and sometimes it doesn't have the default drivers for your particular device, maybe they didn't exist by the time the DVD was created, etc. Now add to this, what if the driver it cannot find is the driver that gives you LAN connectivity; if your maching can't connect to the internet then it can't find newer or missing drivers at all. THIS is why it is recommended you get the right drivers prior to making any OS install.

Once it is installed you need to restore all your data and all your software. This includes software installed by the computer manufacturer that is not part of the Microsoft W7; 90% or more is trial-ware and other junk you probably don't use or want but there will be one or two programs, like the one that displays volume bars on the screen or makes your touchpad work that you will want and if they aren't on a disk or separate hd partition then you will need to get them from the manufacturer or find an alternative.

Reaction score
I still believe you would be better off fixing your browser issues while staying 64-bit BUT ... I don't like leaving unanswered questions if I think I can answer them.

If you install 32-bit W7 it means a complete and total reinstall so everything you don't back up is lost. None of the 64-drivers will work in the 32-bit OS. Most of the drivers will be installed by W7 automatically; it will try to load default drivers from the disc and then update from it's database online once connected. the problem is that Microsoft's drivers aren't always as current as the manufacturers and sometimes it doesn't have the default drivers for your particular device, maybe they didn't exist by the time the DVD was created, etc. Now add to this, what if the driver it cannot find is the driver that gives you LAN connectivity; if your maching can't connect to the internet then it can't find newer or missing drivers at all. THIS is why it is recommended you get the right drivers prior to making any OS install.

Once it is installed you need to restore all your data and all your software. This includes software installed by the computer manufacturer that is not part of the Microsoft W7; 90% or more is trial-ware and other junk you probably don't use or want but there will be one or two programs, like the one that displays volume bars on the screen or makes your touchpad work that you will want and if they aren't on a disk or separate hd partition then you will need to get them from the manufacturer or find an alternative.
Ok, here's the deal. I've got myself a pc with a borrowed Windows 7 home premium 64 bit and i stupid as i was i never had a thought about it beeing "real" on my computer. Anyhow, now my windows is of course classified as false or fake and the only windows i had access to is windows 7 proffesional 32 bit. And i don't know how i can upgrade it. Sorry for beeing an idiot concerning computers :p

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ok, first I would back-up all your 64-bit drivers to CD/DVD; I've never used them but there are a couple freeware utilities listed at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-backup-restore-drivers-in-windows-7-vista which should help. Then download and burn W7 Pro 64-bit to DVD (It's a huge file so I would use a download manager such as is included in FireFox or several versions are available as an add-in to IE). Also run W7 Easy Transfer to back-up your data (be sure to use the advanced settings to get all your folders/files) and your UserID logons. Also make sure you have all your software discs and product keys (the freeware product SIW can help you locate most of your product keys). Then install the 64-bit Pro using the unused key that came with your 32-bit disc and the 64-bit drivers you backed up, restore your UserIds and data with W7 Easy Transfer, and reinstall all your programs.

Simple right? Nope not really! Software piracy is a real PITA. It's a little harder to complain if you knew it was a bad key but when you buy it a real and it turns out not to be then you really get frustrated.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. I've got myself a pc with a borrowed Windows 7 home premium 64 bit and i stupid as i was i never had a thought about it beeing "real" on my computer. Anyhow, now my windows is of course classified as false or fake and the only windows i had access to is windows 7 proffesional 32 bit. And i don't know how i can upgrade it. Sorry for beeing an idiot concerning computers :p
First question is do you have a legitimate product key for Windows 7? If so, then that key will be valid for the both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same edition.

What do you mean by "borrowed" Windows 7 Home Premium?

What version and edition of Windows 7 do you really want to use?

Give us some more information and don't apologize for "being an idiot concerning computers". ALL OF US here, the frequent posters, were "computer idiots" at one time in the past... believe me!. Yes, even TrainableMan was too. How do you think he got that moniker? LOL! :eek:

We're all here to learn and help each other so tighten up those boot laces and let's get cracking on your problems here.

Tell us specifically what's going on and such, plus whether or not you have product key.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Give us some more information and don't apologize for "being an idiot concerning computers". ALL OF US here, the frequent posters, were "computer idiots" at one time in the past... believe me!. Yes, even TrainableMan was too. How do you think he got that moniker?.
I have a B.S. in Computer Science. I came up with my nick because I bought and occasionally sold miniature trains on eBay including the Mark Twain Pioneer Zephyr which is my avatar. Prior to that I was AceHac]{r.

But there are a lot of pieces and parts to computers so nobody can know it all so we all try to help as best we can and hopefully once in a while we get something right, and with any luck, in the other cases, it is broken so badly that they can't get back online and warn anybody :p

Reaction score

First question is do you have a legitimate product key for Windows 7? If so, then that key will be valid for the both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same edition.

What do you mean by "borrowed" Windows 7 Home Premium?

What version and edition of Windows 7 do you really want to use?

Give us some more information and don't apologize for "being an idiot concerning computers". ALL OF US here, the frequent posters, were "computer idiots" at one time in the past... believe me!. Yes, even TrainableMan was too. How do you think he got that moniker? LOL! :eek:

We're all here to learn and help each other so tighten up those boot laces and let's get cracking on your problems here.

Tell us specifically what's going on and such, plus whether or not you have product key.
Yes i bought a legit key after i found out that it didn't work properly. I used a friends cd with not a thought in the world of that beeing unable to work.

I want an edition that works, basicly. Preferably a 64 bit-edition.

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it. I will se if i can fix the issue with the tips i've gotten now=)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You bought a legit key? - FYI: if it's off eBay then I doubt it's legit. It may work for 2 to 4 mos till eBay finds too many users w/ the same key and then boom they shut them all down. I have had terrible luck on eBay with legit copies of windows. I have an Ultimate copy right now that looks excellent - it was sealed in the plastic wrap and everything, I think they are real discs but the key looks like a photocopy and eBay actually sent me a message it may be fake so I filed a claim that very day and I was refunded my money by evening.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You bought a legit key? - FYI: if it's off eBay then I doubt it's legit. It may work for 2 to 4 mos till eBay finds too many users w/ the same key and then boom they shut them all down. I have had terrible luck on eBay with legit copies of windows. I have an Ultimate copy right now that looks excellent - it was sealed in the plastic wrap and everything, I think they are real discs but the key looks like a photocopy and eBay actually sent me a message it may be fake so I filed a claim that very day and I was refunded my money by evening.
No the last one i bought from the store..so it's definetly legit=)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No the last one i bought from the store..so it's definetly legit=)
Since you bought your key from a retail store then you should be okay. It will work with either the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of, I am assuming here, Windows 7 Home Premium.

If you need a copy of the 64-bit version of Home Premium you can go to the following link to download an ISO image of the install DVD and then burn it to a good quality blank DVD disc with ImgBurn. It's a free ISO image burning program and has lots of features to it. You can download it here: www.imgburn.com

Burn no faster than 4X speed and then use ImgBurn's verify feature to check the disc burn against the original ISO image.

https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

Ask a Question