Changing from 64 bit to 32 bit

Reaction score
I purchased a laptop that runs Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I've found that the majority of my equipment driveers are 32 bit. Will the data on the hard drive be compatible with the 32 bit OS? What do I need to do to reinstall 32 bit. Have no Windows 7 disks.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
moonface, welcome to the forum. You have Win 7 Pro, this qualifies you for the Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode. It's like a computer within a computer, and very easy to maintain, once you get the hang of it.

What you'll get, at no additional cost to you, is a pre-activated version of XP Pro SP3, once you install it, you update it just as you would any computer, and install your programs to it. After the computer is updated, you'll need to install "Guest Additions", which is found at the top of the VM in a drop down menu (like bookmarks are).

This will allow you to run your legacy software/hardware, while having a modern OS like Windows 7 at the same time. The only thing about XP Mode, is that it's not suitable for gaming or watching movies, nor was that it's intended purpose. It's purpose is to assist users like us who needs it.

Without giving up our 64 bit systems. 32 bit computers/hardware is becoming a thing of the past at a rapid pace now.

Check it out here for yourself:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Best of Luck,
Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To run XP mode it's best if you have at least 3GB of memory.

I would suggest you first go to the manufacturers individual websites and see if you can download 64bit drivers rather than trying to use XP mode. And when you plug in most USB devices W7 will go out to the internet and find the correct drivers if you let it.

To answer your question. You CAN switch to 32-bit Win Pro and use the license that came with your laptop but it requires a complete reinstall from Win 7 Pro 32-bit DVD and will take a lot of work. Also any special programs installed by the laptop manufacturer (like onscreen sound bars or touchpad software) will be gone and if you cannot download them then you will have to do without or find replacements. So yes you CAN but it's not recommended. Try to get 64-bit drivers / upgrade / or use XP mode are usually better options.

Reaction score
Unless you really need to, you should not go back to the 32 bit world, it will soon be a thing of the past.

There are very good chances that everything you have will work flawlessly under the 64 bit OS.

Give it a try, it won't hurt :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I purchased a laptop that runs Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I've found that the majority of my equipment driveers are 32 bit. Will the data on the hard drive be compatible with the 32 bit OS? What do I need to do to reinstall 32 bit. Have no Windows 7 disks.
What "equipment drivers" are you talking about? It would be a BIG HELP TO US if you would list the EXACT ISSUES you're having regarding the "equipment drivers" for us.

Are you talking about printers, scanners, webcams, etc?

You may not even need to change the version of the operating system.

Ask a Question