SOLVED Change in Sleep Behaviour after re-install of Windows

Reaction score
Further to my previous thread about problems getting PC out of sleep I have noticed a change in how the PC behaves when in sleep mode.
Before the re-install I am sure the PC became totally dormant, but now the system fans continue running (haven't checked CPU fan) and the power LED keeps flashing.
Or am I delusional? :confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are different levels of sleep (S1 thru S5) so it's definitely possible.

There should actually be settings in your BIOS, listed as ACPI, that will limit which sleep states are allowed on your machine.

Then in your device manager you will find some devices where you can prevent them from going to sleep or set them to wake the computer (the most common is to prevent your network card from sleeping and to allow the mouse to wake the computer)

There are also settings in Control Panel > Power Options ... Advanced configuration and it's quite possible you do not allow hibernation anymore so set those as desired.

Reaction score
There are different levels of sleep (S1 thru S5) so it's definitely possible.

There should actually be settings in your BIOS, listed as ACPI, that will limit which sleep states are allowed on your machine.

Then in your device manager you will find some devices where you can prevent them from going to sleep or set them to wake the computer (the most common is to prevent your network card from sleeping and to allow the mouse to wake the computer)

There are also settings in Control Panel > Power Options ... Advanced configuration and it's quite possible you do not allow hibernation anymore so set those as desired.
Finger trouble!

During my fiddling to try to fix a previous problem I must have inadvertently switched ACPI from STR to POS.

Thanks for your input. :)

Ask a Question