SOLVED Change desktop picture

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just joined the grouphaving just installed Windows 7 Pro. and I would like to have a photo of my grand kids as the desktop picture. I cannot find anywhere in Win 7 on how to do it so can anyone help please. Roger

Reaction score
Right click Desktop
Personalize
Desktop Background
Then change picture location by browsing to the folder your pictures are in

Or you could download a freeware Desktop Wallpaper Changer

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Bordterrier :) Clifford hit the nail on the head there with those instructions. I'll see if I can get a quick "how-to" up in the article section later today.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Anther solution is download Windows Live. Apart from the Windows live mail prgram, it includes the live photo gallery. A simple right click of any picture you have, offers the option to use it as background wallpaper. No extra setup neeeded - just one click

Reaction score
Have read too many posts about the background image on Starter edition not being able to be changed...
So was wondering - Is the default image stored as a normal image or is it hidden in a sys file as was with the Win95 boot screen IIRC 'logo.sys' ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi kitesurfa

Windows Starter Edition desktop background is integrated (you cant change it just by using Windows Starter Edition its self|)

Reaction score
Start regedit and navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Look for the "Wallpaper" Key which stores the location to the wallpaper image.
If you wish, you can change this location to the Wallpaper image of your choice. The third party Wallpaper Changers will change this location to their own.

Please note I am a Premium user and have no idea if it will work on the Starter or Basic Edition. However I would like to know for sure for future reference.

Reaction score
Start regedit and navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Look for the "Wallpaper" Key which stores the location to the wallpaper image.
If you wish, you can change this location to the Wallpaper image of your choice. The third party Wallpaper Changers will change this location to their own.

Please note I am a Premium user and have no idea if it will work on the Starter or Basic Edition. However I would like to know for sure for future reference.
Not on Starter AFAIK from my research. Windows generates a SHA-256 hash based on the image's contents and compares it to a hard-coded hash embed within shell32.dll

more info here
http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/31/correction-starter-wallpaper-more-secure-than-i-thought/

If you loose the Wallpaper and screen turns Black the default entry in the wallpaper key is: %windir%\web\wallpaper\windows\img0.jpg to get it back to default.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
It is a bit mean of Microsoft but there are applications that will change the wallpaper on Starter.

Ask a Question