SOLVED Change boot drive

Reaction score
I am new at this. I upgraded my Windows XP to Windows 7 and it runs fine. My Dell desktop computer came from the factory with a floppy for the A drive and a CD in D and a DVD in E. If I want to boot from a disk, the machine looks to the A drive only. I want to change this so it will look to my D or my E drive instead. I want the change to be permanent.

How do I do this?

TIA, Joe

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You need to get into the BIOS. Most commonly it's done by pressing the DELETE key when booting up. With DELL machines I thinks it's the F2 Key, but I could be wrong.

Then choose the as the 1st boot device to be your DVD (E) drive. Then you should be good to go. It should be in the Advanced BIOS features.

DELL doesn't follow the standard protocols though when it come to the BIOS and such. You may see a screen at first boot that may tell you which key to push to change the boot priority.

You may have to consult your DELL user manual for verification.

Reaction score
Goto bios .Hot keys may be F2 or F8 or F12. I really cant recall the exact one. goto Set boot device and remove floppy from there and put first boot device and second and so on acc to your choice !

Reaction score
I got to the BIOS

I got into the BIOS Boot Sequence. It shows:

1. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
2. Onboard SAIA Hard Drive
3. Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)
4. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive
5. USB Device (not present)

On my computer, I have

A: Floppy
C: Hard Drive
D: CD ROM
E: DVD

When the computer boots, the CD drivelight flashes, then the DVD drive light flashes then, fifteen seconds later, the A Drive flashes.

How can I be certain that my computer will boot from the DVD?

Thanks again, Joe

Ask a Question