Change appearance of Command Window

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
On another site, I was asked how I had managed to post a pictur of a command prompt, which looked different from the standard. It was followed up by similar posts.
I am sure moost users rather like the black, professional looking window which is on by default, but it occured to me that maybe not so many are aware that you can alter this??
In Windows 7.
1. Open a Command window. You cab do this by typing cmd in the run box, or by manually selecting the command prompt in the accessories folder of the start menu.

2. If you only need a white background, similar to, for example, notepad, type color f0 in the command window. If you decide you do not need this, type color in the command window to return to the default. Note, however, this command is only appliceable to the current window.

But there are more options than this.

3. Right click the top bar, where the title sits (username:Command Prompt)

4. Select Properties..
You are now presented with a range of customisation options.

Colors would be a personal choice. I would suggest black text on a white background, for familiarity with notepad etc. Best done in this order:
That would be i. Screen Text - select the black square on the far left

ii. Screen background - select the white square on the far right. -Or perhaps you prefer pink, yellow. etc.?
After this step, I would suggest you leave the Font tab until you are familiar with the new layout. The default font works fine. There are only a few choices, but I did find Lucida more pleasing to the eye.

iii. Layout - I can only suggest what works for me, as the variations here are unlimited. I wanted a clear and reasonably large window, but not large enough to impose on any other open windows on the desktop. My settings were Window size - W 85. H 55. At the same time I matched the buffer to the same figures.

. And whilst in layout

iv. If you want to position the window, on your dektop, to a new default, untick the square (Let system ...etc) and put the new position to your personal choice. I find the default is perfect, however I did move it a little more over to left and top (Left 10 and Top 50)

v. Options - Here you can select a full screen, as the default, not recommended at all! You can also alter the cursor size, also not terribly useful. Quick edit mode is a good one. This will allow you to copy and paste, for example, tips you read on forums.

That is all. Mess around and have a bit of fun. You can always return it to the defaults by selecting, from the top bar drop down, defaults.

Fwiw. This is what my window looks like:

View attachment 1186

Last edited:
Reaction score
Using the methods you mentioned or changing the color from the command prompt, I usually try and use a light gray window.

At the prompt "C:\>"
For all options type "COLOR /H"
My usual settings "COLOR 70"

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, always nice to learn more secrets.

And when I close and reopen it is back to the default black.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TM if you right click on the window frame at the top. Selecting properties will give you options to customize your window for all future uses.

Remember though Windows remembers your settings for each way you access a Command-line Window. If you run a command-line script through explorer instead of using the run box by typing "CMD", the settings will be different. Therefore you must edit properties for each script file unless you can change the default settings. That maybe what Davehc was refering too.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, always nice to learn more secrets.

When i typed f0 I get an error; I had to type color f0. Maybe you have an F0.bat file?

And when I close and reopen it is back to the default black.
Sorry M8. I am always in too much of a hurry (hence my often bad typing!!)

I am just popping up to amend Item 2.
As Cliff points out, follow my other notes to customise permanently.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
My change selections stayed permanent.

Handy info and tip! Thanks davehc!

Ask a Question