SOLVED Catalyst Install Manager failed

Reaction score
Hello, everytime i try to install the AMD - catalyst install manager i get his:

Error messages
Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation
Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation

I bet im not the only person, so please could you help me resolve this problem? I need to upgrade my drivers.. Iv'e also tried to reinstall the drivers but nothing changed. I get the same error message every time-.-

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi Nazrak! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

Are you installing the correct version of AMD Catalyst? Make sure if you're using Windows 7 32 bit that you're installing the 32 bit version of the AMD Catalyst, and same for 64-bit.

If so, anymore info you can give us?

~Nibs

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to W7 forums.

Did you download the wrong version of the ATI drivers. For example you downloaded the 32bit version when your Windows version is 64bit?

Anyway I would strongly advise against installing anything except the video drivers.
So when the install does run, choose "Custom" and only install the video drivers.

Hope this helps.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ah mod beat me by a minute and refresh! Doh!

Reaction score
Welcome to W7 forums.

Did you download the wrong version of the ATI drivers. For example you downloaded the 32bit version when your Windows version is 64bit?

Anyway I would strongly advise against installing anything except the video drivers.
So when the install does run, choose "Custom" and only install the video drivers.

Hope this helps.
Thank you both.

I im pretty sure that i have installed the correct drivers.. And i also did a custom install with only installin the video drivers, but it gives me the same error messages again..I really want to fix this because i think my drivers are out of date.. I just installed the star wars the force unleashed again, and my frame rate was under 5 with the lowest settings.. Before i could play with medium settings with over 60 frame rate

Last edited:
Reaction score

Shintaro

Reaction score
Do you have SP1 (Service Pack 1) installed?

If you have downloaded the latest drivers, then completely remove the old drivers, reboot and try the install of the new driver.

Reaction score
Do you have SP1 (Service Pack 1) installed?

If you have downloaded the latest drivers, then completely remove the old drivers, reboot and try the install of the new driver.
Yes i have service pack 1 installed, but how do i completely remove the old drivers? Or do you mean uninstalling them?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yes, sorry uninstall the old ones.
But make sure first that you have the latest drivers downloaded from AMD first.

Reaction score
Yes, sorry uninstall the old ones.
But make sure first that you have the latest drivers downloaded from AMD first.
Well that is my problem.. I told you that i get the error message everytime i try to install the new ones. I cant install them.
(look at the pics)

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yes, but have you completely uninstalled the old ones, before trying to install the new one?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Is there a c:\ati directory?

When you run the install, does the error message appear straight away? Or does it look like it is installing then it throws an error?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please get a screen shot of your video card in Device Manager.

Reaction score
Could you please get a screen shot of your video card in Device Manager.
Here is it: http://oi49.tinypic.com/2chkhnk.jpg

I forgot to mention that after i installed http://benchmark3d.com/how-to-comple...ove-any-driver that and deleted all my drivers and stuff, i couldnt install them back... whats up with that? And when i tried to install them it said that it already had been installed, but as you can see in the tinypic ss i still havent installed the new ones. The one with the exclamation point under "display adapters". Forget the "other devices".

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Alright, you will have to install the drivers manually.
Run the installer. It will fail but that is ok. Make sure that it has created a C:\ATI directory.
Go to Device manager.
Right click on your video adapter and go to properties.
Select the "Driver" tab.
Then the "Update Driver" button.
You will need to find the location manually, don't let Windows try to find it.
Browse to C:\ATI\Support It should be a .inf file.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Let us know how you go.

Ask a Question