SOLVED Can't re-install Win7 on Toshiba Laptop

Reaction score
Hello, I'm back with another installation problem that I can't identify because something is going on with the computer keeping it from cooperating. A while back I had trouble getting a hold of certain RAID drivers for my laptop that were required for installing windows 7. Eventually I found them and when I applied them the hard drives on the computer showed up to select where to install windows, selected the system drive and everything ran smoothly after that.

Then my computer crashed 3 weeks ago, finally got it fixed, but it was restored to all factory settings, meaning it's back to Windows XP. Attempted to reinstall Windows 7 using the same method I had used when first installaing it, the only difference being I had not previously used Partition Wizard to wipe the partition clean to prepare it for installation, and I'm not sure if the RAID drivers I applied this time are the same that I used the first time(when I downloaded them it was for my toshiba qosmio and the exact model/series number), and when the drives came up, have two 100GB drives, one primary, one system, I formatted both to completely clean/free, both empty and no longer has Windows XP running. Everything seemed to be going as what had happened with the first install, but when it had to restart to continue the installation, the CD made some unusual noises, and eventually the screen showed the prompt screen to run the CD. When pressed it'd bring me to the setup/installation screen to begin the process(as if it had never attempted to run in the first place), so I let it run on its own and the Windows logo comes up, then the "blue screen of death" comes up very quickly and instantly disappears before you can read anything and the computer restarts.

It goes to the CD prompt screen again and the next screen is the windows failure screen and it lists some options to start in safe mode or use last known good settings or start normally, and if I start normally, the blue screen will come up again quickly and just restart. Tried the steps to repair the computer from the installation CD but no luck. Going to try and find different drivers for this, I can only assume that's what happened, but if anyone else knows what I'm doing wrong or what is wrong with the computer and can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Any of the other options don't work either and eventually just lead to the computer restarting.

Trying to reinstall windows 7 to what it was before and it's not letting me, using nearly the exact same method as before. Thank you for your time, I understand this post was lengthy, but wanted to make sure I listed all that happened and what was going on.

Reaction score
Update to my progress, and seeing the number of replies I know there will be many that are interested... but so far no luck, attempted many different methods and one is currently in progress as I type. Found a very similar problem to my situation that has been solved on another windows 7 forum for one's laptop that is a Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV600, mine is a 650 but I don't think they're that dissimilar whereas his method won't work for mine, I can only hope. He used a disk wipe program called Darik's Boot and Nuke to completely wipe everything off the hard discs, then go through installation again as usual and it worked for him. I'm just not sure what method he used to wipe his discs with the program, as there were like 10 different methods, I'm using the autonuke method, and I'm not sure what driver he used to install on his hard drive, if he needed one. We'll find out soon enough I guess, and I hope it works because I want to go back to using my computer instead of my dad's which is a piece of crap.

Couldn't find the exact toshiba qosmio G35-AV650 sata raid driver for Windows 7 that I probably need to select and apply when choosing a hard drive to install Windows 7(trying to install Ultimate version), but I supposedly have the latest one for Vista Ultimate, and I think it's the one the other guy used when he installed, so we'll see. Hope it works because using this program to completely wipe the hard drive is taking 7-8 hours and I'd hate to go through that process again because I used the wrong driver.

Also noticed in previous attempts, before the blue screen of death appears, that a message comes up saying it cannot find the autocheck program, then says it's skipping the program, then the bsod comes up and quickly disappears. Not sure if that has anything to do with why it won't work.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You need the Intel RST or Rapid Storage Technology drivers for the install process. The Intel website has these drivers available for download.

They're shown as F6 install drivers or "Floppy Mode", ignore that and store them on a thumb drive or CD-RW and choose driver install when you're at the Windows 7 install screen which shows the hard drives. The drivers need to be in the root directory of the thumb drive or disc, not in a folder.

Go ahead and delete the partitions on the hard drives and create new ones, this will wipe any leftover stuff from previous installs. Then create new partitions and format in NTSC formatting.

I
Intel® RST Driver Files (for version 10.1) - F6 Install (32-bit)

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.1.0.1008 files for 32-bit OS - used to preinstall RAID driver (F6 during Windows* setup)

OS: Windows 7, 32-bit*, Windows Server 2003*, Windows....More Windows 7, 32-bit*, Windows Server 2003*, Windows Vista*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP* 12/15/2010 v10.1.0.1008
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...=Intel®+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel®+RST)

Reaction score
Forgive the late reply but I was able to get my laptop back in gear with Windows 7 for a few days now, so this issue is solved, once again. Turns out I used Darik's Boot and Nuke program to completely wipe out the partitions on all my internal hard drives, giving them a new clean slate and used the latest Toshiba RAID driver of my computer's model for Windows Vista Ultimate, when loading drivers to select a drive. Input my old serial for Windows 7 and I'm back to this OS. Everything running fine, shall return if there are any future errors, thanks for the help all.

Ask a Question