SOLVED Can't install Epson Perfection 2400 scanner on W7

Reaction score
I am moving from an old XP PC to a new Windows 7 PC. I want to move my Epson Perfection 2400 scanner to the new machine. The Microsoft Compatibility and Epson Web sites both say to download the driver update epson12180.exe and install it, then plug in the USB cable. I have followed this procedure but can't get it to work. The software installs with no problem and places an icon on the desktop. Then I plugged in the USB cable; the first time I did it, Windows said that an unknown new device had been successfully installed but when I clicked on the Epson icon I got the error message that Epson Scan could not be started and directed me to a troubleshooting window that basically said "make sure the power is on and the cable is connected" -- no help. I uninstalled the Epson software, then reinstalled and went through the same procedure again. This time Windows said that a device had been successfully installed but the device it identified was my external hard drive. The Epson software still gave the same error message. Moving the USB cable back to my old PC the scanner worked perfectly. I re-booted the Win7 PC and tried plugging to cable in again. This time no message and nothing showed up in Control Panel Devices and Printers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
The problem has been resolved. The USB cables behind my PC were all tangled and I was trying to plug in the wrong one, depite checking twice. "The most dangerous part of the automobile is the nut behind the wheel." Sorry, everyone.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back - glad you've got it working now!

Ask a Question