can't format extra HDs

Reaction score
I just built my first new computer in many years. When I installed Win 7 Pro 64 bit OEM, it showed all 3 of my installed 1 terra byter WD HDs, but did not give any options to format or partitons drives before installation. Installation seemed to go alright. But now, although I can see all 3 drives in device manager, the extra drives are not visible in Windows Explorer or my computer. How can I format and use these drives?

Xblaster ultra case with 850 power supply
750i Sli nForce Mobo
core 2 quad processor at 2.5
4 gb DDR6400
Galaxy GeForce 512 video
onboard 8 channel sound
sata DVD RW+/-
Sata WD 1 terra byte HD x 3 ( got a real good buy on those :) )

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When installing Windows 7, it's particular. The extra drives should be removed prior to install, then you can plug them in afterwards. grichardt, welcome to the fourms, and good luck with your install. That system looks really good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi grichardt - Welcome to w7forums

Look here for formating options
Control Panel >> System and Security >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management

Right click on the disk/drive you want to work with for options. There is also an option to shrink and stretch partitions without erasing your data if you choose to do so later.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It did give the options, you just didn't notice them. It was in the window that showed your drives.

There is an area below that says: "Advanced Options". Most people don't notice it the first time around.

You can also use Partition Wizard, which is FREE and a very good program. It is available both as a Windows installed program and a bootable CD option.

www.partitionwizard.com

About Magic Partition Software - Partition Wizard (4.2 NEW VERSION!
)

Partition Wizard is a Windows based magic partition software.

Our partition software supports both MBR and GUID partition table format running on 32/64 bits Operating System including Windows XP, Vista, Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, and Windows 7. And this partition magic alternative supports all hard disks recognized by Windows such as IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB external disks, Fire wire disks and so on.

Partition Wizard also supports RAID devices. All OS-recognized RAID devices can be handled by Partition Wizard. Working as partition magic, Partition Wizard provides powerful and professional functions to manage partition including Move/Resize Partition, Copy Partition, Create Partition, Delete Partition, Format Partition, Convert File System, Hide/Unhide Partition, Explore Partition, Partition Recovery, Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk and much more.
  • Partition Wizard is a partition magic alternative. It allows home users, business users, and system administrators to easily perform partition operations safely and quickly. The Enhanced Data Protecting technology keeps your data safe even in cases of power outages or hardware failure.
  • Partition Wizard is absolutely FREE OF CHARGE for home and business users. Partition Wizard is optimized and divided into Home, Business, Server, Enterprise and Technician Edition.
    >>Compare Editions
Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to boot computer directly to into Partition Wizard to manage partitions. Features including Rebuild MBR, Partition Recovery, Move/Resize Partition, Copy Partition, Create Partition, Delete Partition, Format Partition, Convert File System, Hide/Unhide Partition, Explore Partition, Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk and much more.

Last edited:

Ask a Question