Can't boot Windows 7 from DVD/CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T61. I have changed the BIOS boot order with the ATAPI DVD first. I hear the DVD spin up but I never get the black screen with the question to boot from the CD. The computer then boots up to Vista. I have Windows 7 commercial bought 3 computer use. I am using the 32 bit CD. I have changed the boot order numerous times and no different. I saw a post that referenced a Maid drive
or something like that and not sure if that may be the problem. Thanks for the help and email here or (e-mail address removed).

Stuart

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi swestm3 and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Have you tried your Windows 7 DVD in another Computer to see if it will boot from the disk ? (testing the DVD)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Have you tried to just press Enter key on boot (maybe push several times) as you may be just missing the Press Enter key to boot from CD message.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Download a copy of Partition Wizard. It's free and you can get it as a bootable CD ISO image. Burn the image to a CD and the reboot the computer. Wipe the hard drive clean and repartition it.

Then restart the computer and put you install DVD in, it should start to install then.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The post reference was to RAID not maid. In your case, the computer could be confogured for either. But, in relation to your problem, the type of Hard disk configuration has nothing to do with the problem. You have either a bad DVD drive, or a bad DVD. Try Veedaz suggestion first, using another computer. If the DVD fails, get a replacement.
Anything can happen with computers, but I don't feel that Nibiru's suggestion would help, as you are not getting that far - but who knows?

Reaction score
Just had the same issue with a friends work laptop.... the tech support people had set the boot order as DVD then hard drive, but disable DVD boot in another menu!

Check that your DVD is actually bootable in BIOS.

Reaction score
If you still have XP or Vista (or any other MS OS) on your computer install Win 7 from that installation. It will still ask you all the options that you want including formatting the hard drive.

Reaction score
THIS WORKS - Boot from a CD

I had the same problem and none of the suggested answers worked. Here's a solution that worked for me:

1: Change the bios to boot from CD as the first option, as noted in other posts here.

2: Shut down

3: Open the computer, removed your hard drive

4: Restart with the boot CD/DVD in your drive

5: As soon as you notice the CD/DVD is being used to boot windows, plug your hard drive back in

6: Use the tools presented on the screen to re-install Windows

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
[SIZE=+1]WARNING:[/SIZE]

eldorado's method is extremely dangerous and should be totally unnecessary. You should easily be able to set your DVD as the first boot device. If you did that and it doesn't boot from the DVD then it is more likely you don't have a bootable DVD in the drive, in which case it goes to the next device in the list.

Messing with connections inside your computer while it is operating creates a huge possibility for a static charge or crossed wire to short out your motherboard or other hardware and potentially ruin your machine or cause the need for pricey repairs.

...This thread is over 3 years old and is now locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question