Can't boot into Windows after power failure...

Reaction score
I've done a lot of googling and I have been unable to find a solution to my problem. At 8:00 AM yesterday, I had a power failure. My desktop was suspended in sleep mode while the outage occurred and successfully booted up once after the power failure. I noticed there was no sound so I tried rebooting the computer a second time and then my computer booted straight to start up repair. It was unable to fix any problems and continues to boot to start up repair with the same result over and over. I have not installed any new hardware and am running out of ideas.

Here is what I have tried so far with no luck:
bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /rebuildbcd
booting into safe mode
booting to last known good configuration
unplugging all usb devices at sttartup
setting bios to default settings, changing boot orders
memtest
chkdsk /r

Here is the message startup repair provides:
Problemm Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7100.00
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7100.00
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21201254
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 21
Problem Signature 07: CorruptFile
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Local ID: 1033

I am running Windows 7 RC 7100 64 bit on a custom built pc (Intel e8400 3.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, Nvdia 8600 gt, asus Striker II mobo). I got the official release from microsoft. This is the first and only problem I have had with Windows 7
. I was planning on making my first backup this week as well so my timing couldn't have been worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
It looks like you have done alot already, i cant suggest really annything else, but to do a clean install, sorry bout the unhelpful advice.

Reaction score
It looks like you have done alot already, i cant suggest really annything else, but to do a clean install, sorry bout the unhelpful advice.
Not unhelpful, I was just hoping to avoid that because I have a lot of files and programs I don't want to reinstall :(

I just ran the command sfc /scannow and it keeps giving me an error message along the lines of "A repair is already scheduled, please reboot". I have tried running the command off the built in system recovery console and the one from the windows 7 dvd and they both give this message. Is there a way to disable or stop this pending scan its talking about?

Reaction score
Hi bprrccllo,

Hmmm... your power failure may have caused wierd file corruption. I would try doing a chkdsk scan. it may repair/fix system file errors. It will run at next boot... let it do its thing ;-)

you can use the command prompt option in your Start-up Repair menu to do this too:

type in this command:

chkdsk /r

not sure if it will fix your issue but it cant hurt to try :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi bprrccllo,

Hmmm... your power failure may have caused wierd file corruption. I would try doing a chkdsk scan. it may repair/fix system file errors. It will run at next boot... let it do its thing ;-)

you can use the command prompt option in your Start-up Repair menu to do this too:

type in this command:

chkdsk /r

not sure if it will fix your issue but it cant hurt to try :)
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried this and it says there are no errors :(

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Have you tried all of this from a Windows 7 install disk already? I would have thought if you used the install DVD to run the repair it would take precedent and complete the repair.

You've tried everything I already know of! I have heard of this issue before where a power loss during a sleep state wreaked havoc with someone's install. It's why I suggest either shutting off the machine or using hibernate since all RAM data is written to disk and doesn't require power to be safe.

If you have a spare hard drive you might install W7 on it, and that should give you full access to the original drive contents and original OS. You could then use the new OS to run W7's version of chkdisk on it to find any corrupted files, but I'm not confident that would help. If you could track down what OS file to delete this method would also let you do so to disable the scheduled repair... that's about the last of my ideas though, sorry.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried this and it says there are no errors :(

oops sorry.... must've missed that fix in your orginal post ....

Olg207 maybe right about the clean install... :-(

Did you inspect your computer for any damage because of power outage? maybe it zapped something. I had that happen on a old pc that had XP on it. power outage took out the onboard network . jsut a thought..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you tried all of this from a Windows 7 install disk already? I would have thought if you used the install DVD to run the repair it would take precedent and complete the repair.

You've tried everything I already know of! I have heard of this issue before where a power loss during a sleep state wreaked havoc with someone's install. It's why I suggest either shutting off the machine or using hibernate since all RAM data is written to disk and doesn't require power to be safe.

If you have a spare hard drive you might install W7 on it, and that should give you full access to the original drive contents and original OS. You could then use the new OS to run W7's version of chkdisk on it to find any corrupted files, but I'm not confident that would help. If you could track down what OS file to delete this method would also let you do so to disable the scheduled repair... that's about the last of my ideas though, sorry.
I tried everything from both the install DVD and the repair console that is built in. I will try and get my hands on another HDD tho since that seems to be the only other thing I can try at this point. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
oops sorry.... must've missed that fix in your orginal post ....

Olg207 maybe right about the clean install... :-(

Did you inspect your computer for any damage because of power outage? maybe it zapped something. I had that happen on a old pc that had XP on it. power outage took out the onboard network . jsut a thought..
No worries :)

I looked around and everything seems fine. Nothing looks damaged, no strange smells or smoke. I think somehow, the power outtage corrupted some system file and I'm hoping there's still a way to repair it : \

I also ran bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No which stopped startup repair from starting, but now I get an error message telling me "Windows failed to load because a critical system file is missing or corrupt" and it says the file is \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\nvstor64.sys. It just tells me to use the Windows DVD to repair and has me running in circles. I am really hoping there is some magical command I can run that will repair the corrupted files and let me back into windows :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
the windows 7 repair installation will normally work for missing or corrupt files, and sorry about the unhelpful comment at the beggining

Reaction score
no worries Olg207..... A repair installation didnt even cross my mind either.... It only hit me because a couple of years ago I had a file go corrupt in my XP and the only way I could fix it was a repair install or inplace upgrade lol
and if I have learned anything form running different versions of Windows.. they all have that repair/inplace upgrade option... it's just not the first thing we think of lol
I think sometimes we make things alot harder then they need to be.... :)

I wonder if the repair installation worked??

Last edited:
Reaction score
StartupRepairOffline II error

I'm having nearly the identical error. Everything is identical except error 04 says -1, and error 07 says Corrupt Registry. I didn't have a power outage however, I shut down using the off button. It wasn't going into sleep or hiberate mode like it should have. I've tried everything brusse01 tried also and am at the same point of getting ready to try a repair installation. I have the dvd install disk I created from the rc download. I think it's an ISO file. Is this the disk to use? Thanks for your help guys.

Reaction score
hi Doug,

Yep, use the Windows 7 RC dvd installation disk that you created. The repair installation works just like a inplace upgrade. If you think that your orginal dvd is dodgy, you can always download the RC again from Microsoft. Remember to burn the .iso image at the lowest speed your dvd has. it may reduce any errors from burning. When I burned mine i used 4x speed and it worked fine. Good Luck :)

note: before you do the repair install, make sure your system is clean. Run your AV program, Check Windows Update for any new updates, and also run a malware program. Better safe then sorry ;-) also when doing an inplace upgrade you will have to disable your AV program before you do the repair installation .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Stuck on how to do a repair install

Hi brusse01 and the rest of the gang,

I'm stuck. I guess I don't know what you mean by doing a "repair Install" When I put in the Win 7 install disk I get the following options, Install and Repair Your Computer. Install doesn't lead anywhere because does a restart which it won't do. The Repair Your Computer has a bunch of options but I can't seem to get any of them to work.

Startup Repair doesn't do anything but restart the computer and gives the same errors.

System Restore - seems to find a good restore point but when I select it, it says that I must enable System Protection on this drive. (I don't know how to do that.)

Another option is Restore Using a Backup Image. I actually have a back up image on my external Seagate USB drive, but Windows can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Doug

Reaction score
Yh as i said before, 2 weeks ago lol, a repair install is always a good option, as it doesnt remove programs, and repairs anything corrupt in the OS. all you have to do is install the updates again. Also do what brusse01 said, which was burn at the lowest possible speed. When i burned the w7 beta disk, i burned at the highest possible speed, dont know why - probably too eager. this however meant i couldnt install properly, so i borrowed a friends install disk. I learnt from this mistake however - and installed w7 R/C without a hitch :)

Reaction score
Dear olg207,

Thank you for your timely reply.

Sorry for being so dense. Is a "repair install" the same as an upgrade? My dvd disk works fine and the machine will boot from it. When I go to the Upgrade selection, Windows says "The option to upgrade is only available when an existing version of Windows is running." And that seems to be the problem, it's not running. Could you be more specific on how to do a "repair install"? Sometimes the most obvious thing can elude me, so I thank you for your patience.

Doug

Reaction score
a repair install works the same way as an upgrade, but are different in there own respect.
An upgrade install is when you upgrade from a previous version of windows.
A repair install however, repairs any corrupt/missing files the OS has, and this will only work on the same os.
For example, you can only repair install, a W7 OS with a W7 disk. this is the same for... XP OS and a XP disk.

if you want a guide to upgrade installing on w7, i will post in a couple of minutes

Reaction score
Hi all...

Sorry about not being a bit more specific on the repair install

Put your windows 7 Rc dvd in your dvd drive. Do the repair install from within windows. Dont boot from the dvd.

when the install page loads... click install.... when you get to the page where it asks for what kind of install.... select "Upgrade". Windows then will act like its doing a upgrade.... it will collect all your user data and files. may take a bit longer then a clean install but it will repair any registry errors and corrupt files. Olg207 will probably post a more detail way of doing this....

Also to enable System Restore do this:

Click on "My computer" > System Properties> From the left side panel, click "System Protection > A window will pop up and near the middle of that window Click the "Configure" button > Click "Restore System Settings and previous versions of files.

hope that helps

Ask a Question