canon digital camera does not support windows 7

Reaction score
hi,

I have a canon A3100 powershot digital camera. when i connect camera to my pc, it shows driver is not installed.

I am using windows 7
1 gb RAM

processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU

Can u plz help me? Why my driver is not installed?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The Canon website states there are no drivers available for the camera mentioned.

There is some software for Windows 7 for your model camera though. Go to this link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...cameras/powershot_a3100_is#DriversAndSoftware

I assume you have the 32-bit version of Windows 7 since you have so little RAM to work with.

Try plugging in your camera with it powered-on and then wait for any drivers to install. Also check out Device Manager, then Hardware and see what it tells you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For my Nikon they stopped writing drivers years ago because multi-port memory card readers are so common that they suggest just removing the memory card and plugging it right into a multi-port for uploading.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
From what I understand, plugging the camera in should show a "Mass Storage Device" - a kind of generic driver for many USB devices that hold data. Does a drive letter show up when you plug your camera in and powered on like Nibiru2012 suggested?

If not, then you can pick up a cheap USB card reader (only a few $) as TrainableMan suggests - it will no doubt come in handy for other things too :).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't even try to install the software that came with my Panasonic camera that I bought in 2008 anymore, I simply use the photo software that came with the Kodak printer that I recently bought.

It (the camera's software disc) was optimized for use with Vista, and the versions of the software on it (Adobe & ArcSoft) are severely outdated. Even the Panasonic "Photo Fun Studio" appears old looking on this computer. But it does look OK on XP.

TrainableMan & Ian are correct, a card reader is the best solution for anyone who has a digital camera. Many printers have updated photo software, and many new computers has some type of photo software bundled in.

The card, with the photos, is all you need.

Cat

Reaction score
I've not tried it yet but there are Wireless options

http://www.eye.fi/
The Eye-Fi card is the 1st wireless memory card. It looks, stores media, and fits into cameras just like a regular SDHC card. On top of that, the Eye-Fi card has built-in Wi-Fi that uses your wireless network to effortlessly transfer photos and videos.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's really cool! Seems like it's been around a bit, too. I'll have to check that out further.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's pretty neat but expensive for such a small amount of mem; it looks like the biggest card available is 8MB, my camera's loaded with a 64.

Plus: The Eye-Fi automatic wireless uploading process currently only supports jpeg files; if you are shooting other file types such as RAW, the Eye-Fi Card will function as a normal SD card and store photos but will not be able to wirelessly upload them.

Reaction score
The Eye-Fi comes in many forms:
  • Eye-Fi Home: A basic Eye-Fi that allows downloads of photos. It has 2 GB worth of memory and costs about $49.99.
  • Eye-Fi Geo: An Eye-Fi card that can do wireless uploads of photos and includes Geotagging for about $59.99. Includes 2GB worth of memory.
  • Eye-Fi Share: Does wireless JPEG photo uploads to the computer and to the Web. Includes 2GB of memory for about $59.99
  • Eye-Fi Home Video: Does wireless JPEG photo and video uploads to a computer. Includes 4GB of memory for about $69.9
  • Eye-Fi Share Video: An Eye-Fi card that allows for video uploads to popular websites, as well as photos. It has 4 GB worth of memory for about $79.99.
  • Eye-Fi Explore Video: Allows for both uploading photos and videos, and you can use several thousand hotspots. It also includes a geotagging feature, 4 GB worth of memory, all for about $99.99.
  • Eye-Fi Pro: Combines the outstanding features of all the other Eye-Fi cards, and includes wireless RAW uploads of photos and videos to any folder on a computer. This one is more expensive at $149.99.
Source link - http://hubpages.com/hub/Eye-Fi-Wireless-Memory-Card-for-Photos-and-Videos

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Those are neat devices, and I'm sure there's some who really likes this sort of thing, and more importantly, afford it.

I have a 4GB SanDisc card in my camera, that holds all of the pics that I need, and it only cost me $10 (on sale). Plus I have two 4GB Kingston flash drives to move them onto when it gets full.

It's a great gadget, but too costly for me. The old fashioned way will have to do for me.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The old fashioned way will have to do for me.
So does that mean a Kodak Brownie camera and taking the film to Woolworth's to get it developed?? :eek:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So does that mean a Kodak Brownie camera and taking the film to Woolworth's to get it developed?? :eek:
No, my recently bought Kodak printer will develop the same (or better) quality of prints that you get at Woolworth's, or your favorite store, using better photo paper than most of the stores uses. I use genuine Kodak paper, not Fuji or store brands. And brand name Kodak inks cost less and last longer than the store brand or "refurbished" inks do.

I can either insert the memory card directly into the printer, view the photos from the 2.5 inch LCD screen, and print which ones I want, or insert it into the computer and click onto the Kodak AiO Home Center for more advanced options, such as touching up, etc.

That's what I meant as the "old fashioned" way, not going back to the days of 35mm film type cameras. Wi-Fi type camera cards are not going to gain a massive following until the prices are reduced a lot. For the price per GB (of these cards), SSD's look like a bargain.

Cat

Last edited:

Ask a Question