Cannot print from windows 7 or xp to a printer that is located at windows 7 pc

Reaction score
Hi.

I have this weird problem.

I have a pc (let's say machine_1) with windows 7, and I have installed on this machine a printer (let's say printer_1) with a "virtual" local port (let's say "printPort" ).

If a print a test page from machine_1 to printer_1, the status of this job is "Printed".

Now if I share printer_1 to my lan, and send a test page from another machine (let's say machine_2) to printer_1, the status of this job is "Error-Printing".

I add printer_1 to machine_2 with two different ways

a) add printer--> local printer--> create new port -->port name \\mylan\machine2

or

b)add printer --> network printer--> browse for a printer--> i find it and add it.

The error is the same. And also it doesn't matter if machine_2's OS is win7home, win7 pro, win7 ultimate or winXp.

Now, if machine_1 OS is XP, when I send print jobs from another pc (either 7 or XP), the status of the print job is "Printed".

What am I doing wrong in Windows 7?

And also if I have win7 on machine_1 and printer_1 has a "real" port, I can print from machine_2 to printer_1.

thanks and sorry for my english :D

Reaction score
I think you have to create a home network in order to add shared devices. In my case, that's what I had to do.

Create the home network on the windows 7 machine and then add the XP machine. Then once that's set up, add the printer to the windows 7 machine by click on the network tab from the start menu. (Note: if it's not there type it in the search field). Then click on add printer and choose add network printer and let windows search and find it and install it.

Reaction score
The 2 computers are already in the same workgroup.

Moreover when I connect a real printer to machine_1, change the printer_1's port to a "real" port (let's say COM1, if my printer is connected to COM1) I can print from machine_2.

So I believe it haw something to do with the port, but I don't know what and how to solve it.
:(

Reaction score
Yes, it is usb001. I just wrote com1 as an example.
The problem is not if the port is usb001 or usb002 (i.e i have a real printer connected to my pc),
but if the port is a local port, created by me, without any printer connected to this port.

Ask a Question