Cannot Find Wireless Network But Finds Others

Reaction score
As above, ive just installed Windows 7 x64 ultimate build 7600 from vista (thank god) on the gf's lappy (compaq presario v6700). All is well with everything aswell as update drivers, etc... the onboard wireless is Atheros AR5007 802.11 v/b for info

The problem is with vista it was picking up the router "SpeedStream6704" BUT NOW, it will not pick this up anymore as i have tried numerous settings including trying to either: A. Add new connection B. Custom IP Address and so on... However, it does sometimes pick up the OLD wireless (god knows why its still on) the "Belkin54g" router ARGH, Thus this needs to be connected to Speedstream for net use

Any helpers? will be much appreciated

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Rick!

Is your SpeedStream router set to broadcast the SSID? If you added the connection to Vista before it was set to not broadcast, it would still be seen and connect fine, but not show in Windows 7.

Have you got any other devices which you can test the connection on?

You shouldn't need to do anything with custom IPs, and I suspect that the problem will be something to do with the router config. I'm assuming that the laptop is well in range of the router?

Reaction score
we have tested the conection on another laptop with installing win7 build 7100 'X86 ver.' and it had created the connection automatically... we are having thoughts that it this issue may have to do with the bit ver?

we think aswell that since the router had been put in place it has broadcasted SSID from the word go therefore this was done years ago lol

the range is within a metre of the router (muilt network) so no probs with wat suppose to be signal

Reaction score
I have the same problem

I have the same problem... i have a linksys wusb54gs ... the adapter is finding other networks, but not my home network.

However, sometimes when i bridge my internet connection from my laptop to my desktop, after awhile my home network shows up sometimes.

Its something i cannot figure out.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
ricktutty:

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Sometimes that will cause issues when trying to connect.

Hope it all works out for ya!

rcp

Reaction score
make sure your wireless setting is set to WPA2 not WEP. most of the time WEP is being phased out and its not being detected by new wireless cards or it might have a hard time detecting. i came accross this problem aswell, and all i did was changed from WEP to WPA2.

Reaction score
make sure your wireless setting is set to WPA2 not WEP.
If you card supports WPA or WPA2 this should be used instead of WEP. WPA security is much better than WEP. However you stated your card was old and may not support WPA.

My card is not that old and does not support WPA2 which has greater security than WPA. Latest news has it WPA security can be broken within a minute now. Good thing I don't really need the extra security or I would have upgraded my card to support the WPA2 or greater.

Reaction score
I have run into the problem before while using an older wireless card where the card drivers installed correctly but the card didnt work. This was caused by using a driver for XP (I was using Vista at the time) Make sure that the driver is specifically for windows Vista or 7. They are built using the same kernel so drivers from either will work on the other. Also, did you install the driver from a downloaded setup file or a driver disk? You may have to manually point Windows 7 to the correct driver (*.ini I believe). Im in no way an expert on wireless but good luck.

Ask a Question