Can you change the name of a file ?

Reaction score
Can you change the name of a file and will it work? I have photoshop 7 but now got photoshop cc. Both are photoshop.exe and i want to have them both or the cc as a context menu option. But when i choose the photoshop.exe of the cc the other one which is there a long time opens

So can i change 7 to photoshop7.exe

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can rename an executable and then it will run under the new name. My concern with renaming the executable is that there may be other associations in the registry expecting to find the original filename and such links would no longer function.

Besides that, if the entry is in your context menu it is probably coded with the path as well as the filename and changing the filename would simply break the context menu item completely. Your best option would be to simply edit the context menu in your registry to use the newer version's path instead.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with those tools you posted so personally I would just recommend editing the registry.

Is it the Open With > context menu? Do you actually see two entries now but they both open the same program? Can you post a screenshot of your context menu?

For the Open With menu you should have the programs listed under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ and then under the specific application you should have a shell key, and under that an Open key, and under that a command key, and in the command key should be a (Default) String value pointing to the program "drive:\path\exe" and the parameter "%1"

Here is mine:
RegistryContextMenu.jpg

I would expect you to actually see both applications listed under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\, one for PhotoShop CC and one for PhotoShop 7. So find the Paintshop CC program under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ and if it does not have them add a shell key, under that add an Open key, under that a command key and under that modify the (Default) String Value to
"drive:\{Photoshop CC path}\PaintShop.exe" "%1"

Reaction score
yes it is open with context menu.Here is a screenshot. The PS7 is shown but ps cc is not. If I choose default program it does not show there or under 'other programs'. if I browse to PS cc and click PS.exe it points to the PS7 and PS7 opens. I would like to have Ps7 and Ps cc show when i click open with. If PS cc was where windows media centre is it would be fine. I do not use windows media centre

PhotoShop CC and PS 7 are under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\.
Sorry read it wrong. Both entries there and both have open keys?

why you mentioning paint shop?

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Normally such an entry would be created when you install the software. I suggest you uninstall & reinstall. Look for an option such as "integrate into explorer menu." You may need to choose something like "customized install" to see more choices.

Reaction score
"Normally such an entry would be created when you install the software" you mena the registry entry They are there. I made a mistake when i said one was missing from registry

How do i quote here?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On the Post you want to quote you can simply hit the "reply" link and it quotes the post for you. Or type [Quote]paste quoted text here[/quote]

OK so PhotoShop CC is there under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\? Then make sure it has the shell key, and under that an Open key, under that a command key and under that the (Default) String Value set to
"drive:\{Photoshop CC path}\PaintShop.exe" "%1"

I don't have PhotoShop CC so if you post a screenshot of your registry there it might help me.

Reaction score
How do i quote here?
The insert button (17th, between Media and Drafts) will automate the format. There are four options (Quote, Spoiler, Code, and Strike-through).

The easiest way to quote a comment, click the reply button in the bottom right of that comment. Then you can edit for what you want quoted.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Change the command entry under Open so that it matches the entry under Edit. This will become your entry for PhotoShop CC.

If you want a second entry ...
go ahead and rename PaintShop.exe to PaintShop7.exe in \Program Files\ or \Program Files (x86)\
Then under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ create a new key Photoshop7.exe. And then under that an Open key, under that a command key and under that the (Default) String Value set to
"C:\{Photoshop7 path}\PaintShop7.exe" "%1"

Similar to this:
PhotoShop7.jpg

Notes:
1. My second entry did not appear in my context menu until I right-clicked on a picture and did a Open With > choose a program then unchecked the box next to "use this as the default" and clicked Browse, located PaintShop7.exe and OPENed it.
2. I believe the Context Menu description comes from the executable, and I merely copied the same exe, so I ended up with two Context Menu descriptions that looked identical. So if both CC & 7's executables contain the same description this could become confusing for you. I do not know how to change the description so if you do not like the second entry just go back and delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop7.exe

Reaction score
"TrainableMan, post: 164756, member: 7288"]Change the command entry under Open so that it matches the entry under Edit. This will become your entry for PhotoShop CC.
how do i change it EDIT: OK found it
Notes:
1. My second entry did not appear in my context menu until I right-clicked on a picture and did a Open With > choose a program then unchecked the box next to "use this as the default" and clicked Browse, located PaintShop7.exe and OPENed it.
when i do that it does not appear in context menu
2. I believe the Context Menu description comes from the executable, and I merely copied the same exe, so I ended up with two Context Menu descriptions that looked identical. So if both CC & 7's executables contain the same description this could become confusing for you. I do not know how to change the description so if you do not like the second entry just go back and delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop7.exe
The description is not a problem as there are two different icons for PS7 and CC.

Thanks for feedback

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you sure you created the second entry correctly? Check the path is correct. Maybe post a screenshot of your new registry entry here for us to see.

Then, after I opened the picture using open with > search, then it appeared in the context menu for me, but if it doesn't for you, try rebooting. I never added an entry, just deleted them, so you may have to do a little trial and error.

Ask a Question