Change Computer Name - Discussion

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, this looks pretty simple. I always wondered if there was a way to do this without a re-install.

Reaction score
Thank you Ian thats useful to know (I named mine Home :rolleyes:, but now I will be changing that), nice easy to follow tutorial !

Ciara ... X

Reaction score
Nice

This is a very nice tip for the more basic users. Thanks, Ian! :)

Reaction score
Before you begin, make sure you are using a Windows 7 account with administrative rights. Begin by clicking on Start and then right clicking on My Computer. Select Properties from the menu that appears.

This opens the Systems Information window. On the far left of this window, click on Advanced System Settings.

You should now be looking at the System Properties window. Click on the Computer Name tab and notice that next to where it says Full Computer Name, you can see the computer’s current name. Now, click the Change button.

You should now be looking at the Computer Name/Domain Changes window. Locate the box labeled Computer Name and type anything you want to use as this computer’s name.

Again, consider naming it something useful such as the owner of the computer, its location, or how it is used in your home or on your network. Click the OK button when you are finished and restart your computer.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That's the same thing as Ian's tutorial. He gives a shortcut to the "change" box instead of working the windows?
Fwiw, "Computer", not "My computer"

Ask a Question