SOLVED Can this upgrade be done?

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium this weekend for my self built desktop, but I'm not sure if I can get away with buying upgrade, or if I have to buy the full version. I don't own a copy of XP or Vista for my desktop, but my Laptop came with an XP key, I want to migrate my Laptop to Linux(as it really has no more use for anything but web surfing) and run Windows 7 on my Desktop.

My question is this, can I use my Dell OEM XP cd-key from my laptop as my upgrade key to install 7 on my Desktop, or is the XP key linked to only Dell hardware?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can't switch keys from your laptop to your desktop. It won't pass the validation and activation procedure. There is a thread somewhere on this forum on how to install Windows 7 with upgrade media, though.

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium this weekend for my self built desktop, but I'm not sure if I can get away with buying upgrade, or if I have to buy the full version. I don't own a copy of XP or Vista for my desktop, but my Laptop came with an XP key, I want to migrate my Laptop to Linux(as it really has no more use for anything but web surfing) and run Windows 7 on my Desktop.

My question is this, can I use my Dell OEM XP cd-key from my laptop as my upgrade key to install 7 on my Desktop, or is the XP key linked to only Dell hardware?
Technically what your asking EULA and is illegal. Buy the full installation cd's. Besides I think you have to have a OS installed on the system before you can "Upgrade". Clean installs are always better. Good luck with the Linux too :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
On the forum toolbar, click Search, type "install with upgrade media" and it will be the 12 or 13th link down. Nibiru2012 posted the precise instructions for doing this. "Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was hoping I wouldn't have a problem, but I'm glad I asked as an Upgrade purchase would probably be useless to me

@linuxdudex12 - I've been running various distros of Linux for years, but I'm undecided between using Debian 5, or Fedora 12 for my laptop(I <3 Gnome) and could use a second opinion, what would you recommend?

Reaction score
On the forum toolbar, click Search, type "install with upgrade media" and it will be the 12 or 13th link down. Nibiru2012 posted the precise instructions for doing this. "Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media"
I had a glance through, I really would rather avoid jumping through hoops, so I think I'm just going to fork out for the Full copy, thanks though

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was hoping I wouldn't have a problem, but I'm glad I asked as an Upgrade purchase would probably be useless to me

@linuxdudex12 - I've been running various distros of Linux for years, but I'm undecided between using Debian 5, or Fedora 12 for my laptop(I <3 Gnome) and could use a second opinion, what would you recommend?
Well it kind of depends on what your going to be using it for :D. To be honest, I never really looked at Debian 5. But Fedora 12 is nice. How advanced of a Linux user are you? Because if the answer is very, then I suggest Slackware. Slackware runs fast and powerfully. What are the Specs on your laptop anyway?

Reaction score
The OEM license on the laptop cannot legally be transferred to a different computer. Once the OEM has been activated, it is legally bound to a specific motherboard and can not be transferred. I'm not saying it can not be done but is legally not an option.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had a glance through, I really would rather avoid jumping through hoops, so I think I'm just going to fork out for the Full copy, thanks though
No problem, that's what we're here for. Should you need any help when you get your new OS, post back. Best of luck to you.

Reaction score
Well it kind of depends on what your going to be using it for :D. To be honest, I never really looked at Debian 5. But Fedora 12 is nice. How advanced of a Linux user are you? Because if the answer is very, then I suggest Slackware. Slackware runs fast and powerfully. What are the Specs on your laptop anyway?
1.8ghz dual core
2GB RAM
Intel GMA945 video
300GB HDD

It's biggest downfall is the GMA945, and It's part of the mobo so I can't replace it, but for general purpose use, the laptop still runs great. It just won't run any games made in the past year.

I would say I'm about mid-way between intermediate and advanced in Linux use, I use command line for most purposes. Essentially what I need my laptop to do is stream media to my Xbox, run Civ 4 in Wine, and surf the web, none of those should pose a major problem, I think right now it's just more of an aesthetic choice.

As for Slackware, I use it on my home server and love it for that, I'm just not that crazy about it as a desktop OS, but then I haven't really given it much chance, maybe it's just the breath of fresh air I need.

Reaction score
Well actruly Slackware is probably more for just the challenge of it. If you want an aesthetic look try Ubuntu 9.10, its pretty User Friendly and it can be made to look really cool with stuff like compiz, clairo-dock open GL, and Google gadgets. Fedora 12 as I was led to believe was supposed to be more geared towards a good business distro by the creators of red hat, so I think you will get more of what you want out of distro's like Linux Mint, and Ubuntu 9.10 Ubuntu is actrully getting pretty popular, so I'm sure it has a huge repo. Even with your specs you should be able to pull out some pretty cool effects ( if thats also what your looking for ) Me, I personally love the cool effects like 3D desktop

Last edited:

Ask a Question