SOLVED Can not update office

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing Win7 on my son's laptop and have just installed Office 2007.
However when I come to look for updates via the microsoft update site I get stopped by a page that states
To Install updates from this website, you must be logged on as administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. plus some stuff about XP [Error Number 0x8DDD0002]
There is only one account which I have checked and is an administrator account.
Any ideas how to solve this one?
Thanks
Mike

Reaction score
Hi Mike - Welcome to w7forums

Have you tried disabling UAC(User Access Control). This will stop nearly all Admin problems. A reboot will be required if you turn UAC off to fully make the changes. Look in the Action Center for UAC options. If this doesn't help we will try something new.

Reaction score
Thanks, have done that but still can't update. I now get a page that states:
The website encountered a problem and can not display the page you are trying to view [Error Code 0x8007007E]

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Did you receve a Windows Update Error message called (Initialisation error 0x8007007E) ?

Reaction score
Did you receve a Windows Update Error message called (Initialisation error 0x8007007E) ?
No, this code was on the web page that appeared after attempting Microsoft Update following the turning off of UAC. Strange how it's only a problem for those updates and not Windows Update?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK as you say
The website encountered a problem and can not display the page you are trying to view
it could well be at there end so i would try again later.

Reaction score
I've raised a support request with microsoft technical support, who claim to get back to you within a day - so will let you know what they come back with.

Reaction score
OK, had a reply from Microsoft. Asked me to do some checks etc but also asked me to go to update.microsoft.com which after selecting 'express' install found an update. Unfortunately it is not listed in the review history so I can't tell you what it was?
After that the Office Update has worked fine. It has done an initial download of 18 updates and has gone back to find another 13 which it is downloading as I type.
Thanks for your help chaps.
Mike

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to configure the Update Window so it will download from the www.update.microsoft.com website. That way you'll always be able to do all updates for both Windows and MS products.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"It's always a good idea to configure the Update Window so it will download from the www.update.microsoft.com website. That way you'll always be able to do all updates for both Windows and MS products. "

I receive updates for the OS and any other MS products, through the normal update facility?

The only requirement is to make sure you have the items ticked correctly.

But, for my information, how do you configure your Update window to automatically collect from the www.update.com site? These are the only functions I have found I need:

View attachment 705

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know but on my desktop this is where the Windows Update link takes me now?

Ask a Question