can not delete locked file

Reaction score
Hi Guys hope all well...

I jus installed win7 32bit and everything is working smoothly.. "touch wood".. now as i was goin thru my c drvive i saw a funny lookin file with this name "a91a8a583b8fc1af6541" with a small lock at the bottom... i opend it and it had these two files in it.. "msizap" and "onecarecleaner" (wonder if they are sys files).. i tried to delete the whole folder and i get this on the screen, ARE U SURE U WANT TO DELETE and i say YES.. then the 2nd pop up says U NEED TO HAVE ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSION TO DELETE THIS FOLDER.. (which i am.. i am an administrator) now my admin name is RJ-PC/RJ... and still its telling me i need permissions from RJ-PC/RJ...

well guys plz help me want to learn abt this and how to get full access to delete this folder or any folder..

i also tried to log in as the default administrator in the pc and still same msgs...

thanx..

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks Roban! I was looking for something like this... without having to use my Ultimate Windows Tweaker app.

Reaction score
Hey Roban i am tryin to download the attachment and once its downloaded i am tryin to run it and its askin me for "open with what" option.. what m i suppose to do plz assist thanx

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Roban i am tryin to download the attachment and once its downloaded i am tryin to run it and its askin me for "open with what" option.. what m i suppose to do plz assist thanx
Roban compressed it using the RAR format. That's not the default format in windows, so you will need a third party software to open it. You can use 7Zip.

Though, to save you the hassle, I rezipped it for you. Just download the file, extract it and run InstallTakeOwnership.reg.

Attachments

Reaction score
k i managed to get the win rar application... and uncompresed it.. now what should i do with the uncompresed files....?

Reaction score
wooooooooooho this thing worked like a magic...thanks alot guys... u rock.. respect to u all thanx a million... cheers

Reaction score
guys is thre any problem if i delete the folder called windows.old??

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score

No. That's the remains of the old Windows, left after an upgrade.

You can delete it, or browse it to get old files back.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No, you can delete that with no problems at all. It is leftover from when you did your Windows 7 install.

What is Windows.old folder: Windows.old is a folder created by Windows when you choose custom installation. This folder contains the files, folders and drivers from previous windows version. See Andre’s tutorial on custom installation. The one major benefits of windows.old folder is that you can restore windows to previous version of windows Installation anytime. Please see Microsoft’s guide to restore to previous version of windows Installation. One important thing about Windows.old is that you will get this folder only when you choose custom installation without formatting hard drive and install windows 7 on same drive where previous version of window is installed.
Please note that Custom installation is different from upgrade installation. So if you upgrade your operating System there is chance that you won’t get the windows.old folder. See Andre’s tutorial about upgrading to windows 7 ‘how to upgrade to windows 7’.

Deleting Windows.old folder
: If you have decided that you want to keep the new version and delete the windows.old folder to free up space. First make sure that you copy all the folders and files that you want from this folder. Once it is deleted they can’t be retrieved. There are two ways to delete the windows.old folder. First you can directly select the folder Windows.old and delete it but the safest way to delete is from ‘disk cleanup windows utility’.

Step 1: Type ‘Disk Cleanup’ at start search menu.
Step 2: Select the drive where windows.old file exist and press OK.
Step 3: Disk Cleanup will automatically find the windows.old folder in the drive and will give you option to select folders for delete purpose.
Step 4: After selecting the windows.old folder press OK. It will ask the permission that you want to delete the file permanently.
Step 5: After pressing the ‘Delete files’ button windows.old folder will be gone from your drive.
SOURCE

Reaction score
As Fire Cat says but make sure that you have all your old documents and anything else you need. I made that mistake once and didn't realize that my Quickbooks company file was there and I had to recreate a weeks worth of information.

Ask a Question