BSOD when on battery power

Reaction score
Reciently I upgraded to ssd and it involved a whole big process to restore my laptop back to its origional vista so that i could re-upgrade to win7. Ever since then i have been getting BSOD but only when i am on battery power. I have attached the most recent minidump file. Can someone please read the file and tell me what the problem is? View attachment minidump.zip

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Why would you reinstall Vista just to upgrade to W7? It is much better to simply do a double install with the W7 upgrade DVD: you install it w/o activation and then run the install again and this time insert your key. But anyway ...

If it only happens on battery then I would check your power settings as well as check device manager for power management tabs. Most likely your computer is turning off something important when it is on battery in an effort to save battery life.

You might also check with the hardware manufacturer of your PC and see if there is a BIOS update. ACPI is a common BIOS adjustment on older machines and has to do with sleep/hibernate. If there is an update I suggest you install it.

The DMP just points to the W7 kernal which is basically a catch-all and doesn't help.

Reaction score
I did the win install that way because my product key was for an upgrade only, though I would prefer a clean install. I didn't know that i might be able to do a double installation. If i have an upgrade only key is how would i do a double install? In the mean time ill try the bio's update since my power plan is just a combination of power saver and high performance and it never gave me any trouble in the past.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Obviously you are expected to follow a legal license progression, meaning the upgrade requires you own an XP or Vista license but they do not have to be installed. Many people like to format the hard drive first. Then you use a double install: Run through the installation once. Then reboot and install again. Then activate. On rare occasions it takes a third install.

It may be a driver that monitors your battery or something along those lines. The two biggest causes of BSODs are viruses and out-dated drivers. Fresh install pretty much rules out virus so you definitely want to check out your drivers.

Bonjour comes to mind as a service that worked fine in Vista but caused issues in W7 so, since it came from Vista, see if you have Bonjour on there and if so, uninstall it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question