SOLVED BSOD watching Youtube

Reaction score
I am, just in the past couple of days, getting a similar problem as Chadbonk's post HERE. It's always when watching YouTube videos. I have no idea why something so specific as that would cause a BSoD. I'm trying to upload a zip file (btw, why can't I upload a .7z file?) of my most recent memory dump, and apparently the file size is too large. So I guess the first thing is, should I not be uploading a Kernel Dump? If not, then I can change the setting now and upload a Small Dump later. Help is greatly appreciated, as always.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes Small Memory DMPs are probably best. 7z is not on the accepted file extensions list which is why you can't upload it. See the thread How to get BSOD assistance for more info.

If it only happens on Youtube then I suggest you update your video and possibly sound drivers. Also make sure the version of Flash you have installed for the browser is the latest version (you might try the Alternative Flash Player AutoUpdater)

Reaction score
Okay, I haven't had a crash yet today, but I set up for Small Memory Dumps as opposed to Kernel Dumps. I just installed The Alternative Flash Player AutoUpdater, ran it, and found that Flash was up to date for Firefox/Chrome. It wasn't for IE but I never use that PoS anyway. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm going to keep this thread as unsolved for at least another day, just in case I have to upload that memory dump. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your Flash is up-to-date then you should definitely see if there is a newer driver for your video card.

The other possibility is your anti-virus software toolbar or other toolbar software such as Ad Block Plus or NoScript; since they can affect how scripts on webpages run it is conceivable they are causing some issues.

Reaction score
While I loathe the idea of eliminating AdBlock+, a system crash is far worse than dealing with ads. Stopping Avast's addon isn't as big a deal as that even... I'm pretty careful about where I go on the web. I still haven't crashed yet today though.

As for the video cards, I'm definitely up to date on the drivers. It's one of those things I obsess about. Still a possibility though, I'll admit.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well it was just an idea that occurred to me; I can't say that IS the problem. And I wouldn't delete anything; if the BSODs return you might try turning them off & on or tweaking the allowed settings first. I know I use ABP with Youtube all the time without any BSODs.

Reaction score
Okay, crashed with the same problem just a few minutes ago (Saturday 25JAN2014 approx. 5 PM EST). Uploading the minidump file. I had previously been watching YouTube videos, but had closed the window and opened another (checking e-mail when I crashed). I think it may be the Google Hangouts extension...

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nothing stands out to me in the DMPs.

Try running the browser in safe-mode; youtube needs flash so it may not work but I would try.

Or try removing the Google hangouts plugin. If that isn't it then consider removing Toolbars and disabling some add-ins to see if the error goes away.

I know you don't like IE but I would also suggest you try another browser - if it is only an issue in one browser or if it works fine from safe-mode then it is almost certainly something you added to that browser.

Reaction score
I removed the Google Hangouts extension just after I came back up from the last crash. I had uninstalled it after the last crash as well, and had no problems until I tried it again (I would have mentioned that earlier, but blanked on it from frustration). I've got my fingers crossed. I have Firefox installed as well, I usually don't use it because the resolution is so low. I'm running my monitor in 1920x1080 native, and FF looks like 600x800 when it runs. I never run toolbars; I hate those things, and i *never* use the term hate lightly. I'll try using FF for a while though. Many thanks for the help so far.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hi,

If your still around, did you try another browser as suggested? Because it seems, from a super quick look, that Chrome is the problem.

If your still having problems, upload the crash dump files and I'll take a deeper look.

Code:
Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x1a_403

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  chrome.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

ANALYSIS_VERSION: 6.3.9600.16384 (debuggers(dbg).130821-1623) amd64fre

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff80003674be6 to fffff800036c8bc0

Reaction score
Hi,

If your still around, did you try another browser as suggested? Because it seems, from a super quick look, that Chrome is the problem.

If your still having problems, upload the crash dump files and I'll take a deeper look.
I am still around, and I am currently using Firefox for everything I can. It was a Chrome problem, and I only use that for one website now. Really annoying to have that happen so randomly, I have to say. Thanks for the shout though, I'll be marking this as solved.

Ask a Question