BSOD tdx.sys mystery

Reaction score
I have been experiencing regular BSOD with the error message tdx.sys on my Samsung laptop running Windows 7 64bit.

These can occur at any point when I am browsing the internet and do not seem to be related to the number of tabs or background processes I am running at the time. I currently have bitdefender antivirus and have had my laptop screened several times for spyware.

I have had two computer shops look at my laptop and neither have been able to solve the problem. The latest opinion I received is that it could be due to a faulty RAM. Is that possible or is it likely to be something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make sure you have run a complete virus scan as explained HERE. Then be sure to follow the rest of the suggestions in that thread regarding making sure you are running SP1, updating your computer specs on the forum, and most importantly, zipping and posting your DMP files if you want BSOD help.

That being said, tdx.sys is a windows file so unless it has been replaced with a virus or if you haven't kept your windows updates up-to-date (installed SP1, etc) then it isn't likely the actual problem. If that is what your DMP points to then it honestly won't be much help so I will go on and give you the advice I would give anyway...

1. I already mentioned check for a virus

2. most likely out-dated drivers:

Check the manufacturers website for updated drivers for video drivers, network, sound, etc. There could even be a BIOS update that could improve stability.

3. hardware issues (if this is a new build or has had recent hardware changes, new RAM etc, tell us):

If you are overclocking CPU or GPU you should set back to factory.

Could be problems with your RAM or ram timings etc. Maybe run Memtest86+.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice - I had already run through the anti-virus steps you mentioned, I have just checked that all my drivers are up to date (using samsung update plus - is this reliable?) and I am currently running SP1. I am not using a new build - my computer is a samsung s3520.

For Memtest to run do I need to burn it to a CD first? - I can't find any other versions on the web...

I think one of the people I asked to have a look at my laptop said that there were some errors 'higher up' on the memory card but that they shouldn't cause an issue unless I was using a lot of RAM. I am not sure if they used Memtest to have a look at this...

If it was a problem with an error on the memory card presumably changing the card should solve the problem?

Thank you for taking the time to reply

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have just checked that all my drivers are up to date (using samsung update plus - is this reliable?)
Yes it would be reliable for drivers supplied by the manufacturer. Any extra devices you have such as an external hard drive, printer/scanner, USB devices such as mice, etc would all have drivers too and those would not come from samsung so update plus isn't likely to help with those, you need to go to each manufactures site. It also isn't likely to send you a BIOS update that way, so you should check if there is a BIOS update for your s3520 on Samsung's website

For Memtest to run do I need to burn it to a CD first? - I can't find any other versions on the web...
If it was a problem with an error on the memory card presumably changing the card should solve the problem?
You can burn memtest to a CD, yes or if you have an empty usb thumb drive you can use Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) from Memtest's download page

It really depends on the issue as to whether the RAM must be replaced. It is possible your timings or voltages are just set wrong in your BIOS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok so I found an updated firmware (BIOS) download on the Samsung website which I have installed. I have deleted all previous printers that I have connected my laptop to and have made sure that the remaining active printer driver is up to date. Can external hardware cause problems if it is not connected?

I also ran memtest86 overnight and it detected two errors (see picture attached). Could this be the source of the problem. I am unsure how to check voltages etc on a memory card...

thank you for your help.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Can external hardware cause problems if it is not connected?
Yes, the installed drivers can still cause problems, but your RAM issue is more likely to blame.

I also ran memtest86 overnight and it detected two errors (see picture attached). Could this be the source of the problem. I am unsure how to check voltages etc on a memory card
If I am reading it right, according to your test you currently have: 4GB 666MHz DDR3-1330 w/ Timings of 6-6-6-20.

So then you need to find out what your timings SHOULD be. If you know the Make/model of RAM it can be looked up. You can also install SIW. Some RAM has the recommended settings embedded and if so then it shows in the SIW memory tab. Compare the two and see if they are different. If they are then go into your BIOS and change Timings/voltage to match one of the recommended ones.

If it does have the correct settings then I suspect your memory needs replaced.

Reaction score
OK - I have replaced the memory card and all appears to be running at the moment. I havn't had a BSOD yet anyway - fingers crossed that has solved the issue - thank you for your help.

I will let you know if the issue recurs! :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I really suspect that was it. I went ahead and marked this solved but if not, post any new DMPs

Reaction score
New BSOD

So all seemed fine for 5days - no BSODs with new RAM. Then last night after a full days usage of my laptop I got another 2 BSODs tdx.sys ( tdx+12bd9 ).

I removed the RAM and replaced it with the same card then removed the battery - as I thought maybe it was a problem with overheating - it seems to be working now...

Could this all be an overheating problem damaging the RAM?

Reaction score
Also not sure I am able to alter RAM voltage and timing as this is not a new-build?

Reaction score
The second BSOD last night was actually slightly different according to blue screen view...
Not sure if this is a red herring...
dmp attached

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I will send a note off to Shintaro and see if he can take a look at this. He has more experience at BSODs.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hi, could you please update the following:

K9 parental web filter
http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

BitDefender (Not just the virus patterns, the actual bit defender program)
http://www.bitdefender.com.au/

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88001412bd9, fffff88002da79e0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for bckd.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bckd.sys

Probably caused by : tdx.sys ( tdx!TdxCreateControlChannel+a9 )

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)

Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff88001412bd9, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffff88002da79e0, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B

PROCESS_NAME: vsserv.exe
vsserv.exe belongs to BitDefender. I am thinking that out of date BitDefender software is causing your problem.

Please keep us up to date.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And if your subscription to BitDefender has expired and you can't update it, then best to uninstall it. Next use their uninstaller tool if they offer one to get the last bits and pieces. Then install something like Microsoft Security Essentials.

Ask a Question