BSOD playing skyrim and random

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have been trying to solve my BSOD issues for quite some time by myself but it is proving too difficult and exhausting - so hopefully someone with more expertise can help regarding this issue.

Basically I get BSODs on occasion especially while playing skyrim but not always. Sometimes I will get BSOD while watching a video file or exiting other games like Civ 5.

I suspect it may be a RAM issue (faulty hardware) but not entirely sure - I have run the inbuilt mem-test twice and come up with no issues. It could be a driver problem which I tried updating via DriverTuner.

On a random note I think my computer goes into some sort of error if it ever goes on sleep mode? (Which I now disabled) I thought my computer was shutting down by itself but when I try and turn it back on it powers up for 4 secs then powers down - repeating like this. The only way to turn my computer back on was to flip the power switch at the back, wait a few seconds and then my computer would be able to start up normally.

Attached are 3 minidump files.

If anyone could look into this it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Attachments

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have been trying to solve my BSOD issues for quite some time by myself but it is proving too difficult and exhausting - so hopefully someone with more expertise can help regarding this issue.

Basically I get BSODs on occasion especially while playing skyrim but not always. Sometimes I will get BSOD while watching a video file or exiting other games like Civ 5.

I suspect it may be a RAM issue (faulty hardware) but not entirely sure - I have run the inbuilt mem-test twice and come up with no issues. It could be a driver problem which I tried updating via DriverTuner.

On a random note I think my computer goes into some sort of error if it ever goes on sleep mode? (Which I now disabled) I thought my computer was shutting down by itself but when I try and turn it back on it powers up for 4 secs then powers down - repeating like this. The only way to turn my computer back on was to flip the power switch at the back, wait a few seconds and then my computer would be able to start up normally.

Attached are 3 minidump files.

If anyone could look into this it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Andrew

First SKYRIM is known to have problems with Win 7

These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver). Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!

1-Memtest.
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

2-Driver verifier

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101379-driver-verifier-enable-disable.html

Further Reading
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Reaction score
Hey zigzag thanks for your feedback!

I ran the mem-test and there are no issues with my motherboard ram slots or the ram sticks themselves.

But I did notice something really odd - my computer would only start up if I slotted the 2x1gb and 2x2gb ram sticks a particular way. Now I am thinking that there might be a conflict between the 2x1gb and 2x2gb set up; if that is possible?

Should I just decide not to use the 2x1gb sticks? And get another pair of 2x2gb ram sticks so all my ram are identical?

Or is there something that I am missing in regards to my motherboard and what ram configurations it can handle?

Sorry for all the questions - but I think this is the problem.

Reaction score
After 25hrs of troubleshooting and I found the issue...

After my WISE friend told me to look at my mobo manual I found that each channel can only fit one memory module when using DDR3 1900/1600Mhz memory.

Ordeal is finally over. Thanks zigzag for helping!

Ask a Question