SOLVED BSOD on new pc

Reaction score
Hello, I just built a new pc a couple of weeks ago. It's my first build and other than case fan leds not lighting up, I've not had any issues until a few days ago. I receive a BSOD whenever I play Battlefield 3 after 15-20 minutes. The errors returned are different each time. I've tried updating drivers and the mb bios is up to date. I'd really appreciate any tips I can get. All settings are default, I haven't tinkered with any OC or ram timings, however the products themselves came OC'd from the manufacturers.

MB: MSI z77a-gd65
Intel i5 3570k

*edit*
The rar contains 4 minidumps, 1 text file of the Problem Event reports upon recovery, and 1 CPUZ html file. I can take screenshots if that is preferred.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Apologies, I didn't notice the Debug forum. If someone wants to delete this I'll repost on the correct board.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I just moved it instead.

I don't read DMP files but being a new build, first hunch is RAM. Maybe a bad stick or bad timings.

Please specify make model or your RAM

And I suggest you run Memtest86+ tonight for at least 10 passes.

Reaction score
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600
Model 997043

I've never ran Memtest. I'll check it out and do what you said tonight.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7 Forums.

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nvlddmkm+1dedc0
fffff880`0f606dc0 60 ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 4

SYMBOL_NAME: nvlddmkm+1dedc0

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4fb20748

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x1E_c000001d_BAD_IP_nvlddmkm+1dedc0

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x1E_c000001d_BAD_IP_nvlddmkm+1dedc0
Please start by updating your Video driver.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Hope this helps.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Since this happens several minutes into a game (with gaming being one of the most demanding tasks we can ask of our computers) my first thought is heat.

Tell us about your case, your case fans, and your temperatures. Your motherboard utilities disk should have come with a hardware monitor. I use CoreTemp, but that is only for CPU temps, and you need to verify your system (chipset) and GPU are not getting too hot too.

Check out Speccy from the makers of CCleaner. It includes a great option to "publish" your system specs (less any personal information) and provides a convenient link to post to forums for easy review.

Reaction score
7 completed passes. Still running and so far no errors.

I didn't think about temps. Using a Fractal R4 case, 2 front 140mm intake fans, 1 bottom 120mm intake, 1 rear 140mm exhaust, corsair h100 CPU cooler with 1 120mm exhaust. I made a mistake on the case changing my mind at the last minute for something smaller. Because of the motherboard I only have room for the 1 fan on the radiator. Still, I never saw CPU temps go above 40-43 with Skyrim on ultra and enp mod.

I like CCleaner. I'll check out Speccy.

I noticed my DRAM freq was wrong in the bios so I changed that to 1600. Loaded BF3 and played for 30 minutes and BSOD. CPU temp went up to 48 max.

I was reading other people's crash problems and saw suggestions to uninstall AVG and Daemon Tool. AVG is uninstalled and MSE installed, then upon trying to uninstall Daemon Tool I got a BSOD. I thought, hmm okay and I tried it again--BSOD. So I can't uninstall Daemon Tool. I ran AVG before removal and MSE after installation and both report the computer is clean, no viruses.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xU42xnTJkQhinrTEiMlnZNf

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you see Shintaro's post to update your video drivers? He actually looked over your DMPs and it points to NVIDIA. Old video drivers commonly cause problems so that is most important.

As for removing Daemon Tools, reboot into Safe Mode (Hit F8 on BOOT) and try removing it there.

And if it BSODs after you update your video drivers, post your new DMPs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just an update on my progress, after reading Shintaro's post I did go to the NVIDIA site and update to the new driver recently released and continued to get a BSOD with BF3. Something new though is that during the restart after the BSOD it would BSOD and freeze half way through the restart causing me to physically shutdown the pc entirely to boot back up.

In my current state, I decided to simply restore to the system image I made of the Win7 install and updates. Everything seems to be running normal again. I'm redownloading BF3 and I'll post another update of the results of that as soon as I can.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Be sure to install any patches to the game, as they may address BSOD issues.

Reaction score
I want to thank you all for your help. So far, after playing BF3 for over an hour, I've not incurred any BSOD's, and temps are within acceptable ranges. I still have absolutely no idea what was causing driver issues. I'm very careful about what I install on my machine. I was reluctant to do an image restore but I'm glad it seems to have sorted things out.

I'll update again in about a week, affirming the success or failure of the restore.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I went ahead and marked it solved; if you get another BSOD please post the DMP files

Reaction score
Sigh, here we go again. BSOD after about 1 1/2 hours of BF3. Windows is up to date; game is up to date/patched; NVIDIA graphic drivers are up to date; MB drivers/bios up to date. I'm going to test out Prime95 later today.

I've looked around the web for people with dxgmms1.sys errors and most seem to be unsolved and include other driver issues as well. The general response seems to be that it's driver related, thus people are instructed to update their drivers and yet the problem persists, which seems to be the same for me. So vexing...

Attachments

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would pull/disconnect every thing not needed - extra drives, all but one stick of RAM, any USB devices, etc. boot and see what happens. Swap the RAM if it holds and try again. Since this hardware is new and since BSODs should not occur with new hardware, you need to consider what needs to be RMA'd.

I would also swap in a known good PSU and see what happens.

Reaction score
SOLVED.

It was a memory issue. Memtest never showed any errors, strangely, but singling out each stick pointed it out.

Thank you all for your help :top: . I've certainly gained a new understanding for troubleshooting from all this.

Shintaro

Reaction score
That's great.
Could you please mark the thread as solved.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Memtest never showed any errors, strangely, but singling out each stick pointed it out.
Memtest is a good tester but NO software based tester is conclusive. If Memtest86+ (or Windows 7 internal checker) reports the RAM is bad, then it is bad. But not finding errors is just that - it did not find any errors. It does not mean there aren't any. :(

So testing with one stick at a time is needed. HOWEVER - even that is not conclusive as the motherboard (memory controller) may be the problem. :( But certainly replacing the RAM is the first step. Thanks for the followup.

Ask a Question