BSOD issues

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been experiencing a variety of issues with my computer ever since re-installing Windows 7. This has happened VERY frequently today since installing some updates for Windows 7 that have always been troublesome, but the issue also predates these updates.

I have had various issues occur, many of which have been fixed only to lead to new problems arising.

I have various suspicions about the sources but I would like you guys to take a moment to look over the problem and suggest any solutions.

Attached is the mini-dump from the last day or two, which contains several BSOD logs.

The computer also has problems booting, which often means that the computer needs to be repaired using the System Repair or Restore tool.

I have been having problems for almost 6 months now.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

EDIT: I had another BSOD which I have attached as 'New Minidump'. I also ran a couple of applications and attached the report.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
The crash dump is pointing to AVG anti-virus. Is it up to date? The latest version?

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: d

SYMBOL_NAME: avgidsfilterx+2196

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: avgidsfilterx

IMAGE_NAME: avgidsfilterx.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4ef46e6b

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xBE_avgidsfilterx+2196

BUCKET_ID: 0xBE_avgidsfilterx+2196

Other basic things to try:

1/ chkdsk /r
2/ Offline scan for viruses/malware: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...fender-offline
3/ Mem+ test: Memtest86+ Memory Testing

What brand of hard drive do you have?

Reaction score
Hi Shintaro,

Thanks for yourreply. Does the above suggest anything particular at fault about AVG? it was last updated on the day I posted the original post but I have updated again. I doubt that it is an update issue though.

1) AVG is the latest version and is up to date but I can remove and switched to an alternative.
2) I will give chkdsk a go. What does the /r command do? Repair?
3) I have ran a mentest scan which recorded 0 errors in the period I left it running for. When I can leave the machine on for longer I will do a more thorough scan>
4) I have the following Hard Drives:

Master (C:): ExcelStor Technology J360 (60gb)
Slave (D:): Maxtor 6L200P0 (200gb) -
External (G:): Seagate Desktop 1Tb - Usually connected and unlikely to be the cause

My original harddrive (the 200gb), had trouble around xmas and would not boot windows. After failing to repair and not wanting to wipe the drive I borrowed the 60GB and installed first Windows XP Pro Sp3 and then an upgrade edition of Windows 7 on the drive. Windows 7 appears to have been the problem as XP ran perfectly.

Sometimes I get BSOD when attempting to access the D: drive which may suggest damage to the drive. I have attempted to run the error checker before and will do so again.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Miiikeee101,

The chkdsk /r is to repair any problems.

See how you go after the chkdsk /r and if it fixes the problem.

If you get further crashes please upload them.

Just something to note, sometimes the manufacturer's tools do a better job at checking disks.
I have never heard of ExelStor, but seagate tools can be used on Maxtor drives.
You can get a disk checking boot disk: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...th=SW/201011/20101118113245515/ESTOOL301v.iso

Let us know how you go.

Ask a Question