BSODs from multiple issues

Reaction score
Hello, I am having BSODs on my desktop for about a year now. Sometimes they pop up every night, sometimes they don't show up for a month. BlueScreenView shows different reasons like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc etc.

I have updated my Graphics drivers, sound drivers and LAN card drivers but the BSODs kept coming back. I have collected all the minidumps and attached it, can some one please take a look?

Thanks

Attachments

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Quite a lot of dumps there. Only 2 of them that would be of any use to us though as the rest are weeks and months old.

System Information:
Code:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7601.17640.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`03c16000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`03e5b670
Debug session time: Thu Jan 26 21:09:47.506 2012 (GMT-7)
System Uptime: 0 days 6:02:27.832
CPU Infomration:
Code:
CPUID:        "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz"
MaxSpeed:     2670
CurrentSpeed: 2664
You're not overclocking anything - Good! :)

BSOD reports corrupt regions in some pool headers, but the consistency is there for blaming either the NT Kernel as being the BSOD instigator, or the atikmdag.sys driver.

Code:
atikmdag+0x3eb4d9:
fffff880`0568c4d9 488bc2          mov     rax,rdx
fffff880`0568c4dc 48c1e83f        shr     rax,3Fh
fffff880`0568c4e0 4803c2          add     rax,rdx
fffff880`0568c4e3 c3              ret
fffff880`0568c4e4 cc              int     3
fffff880`0568c4e5 cc              int     3
fffff880`0568c4e6 cc              int     3
fffff880`0568c4e7 cc              int     3
I'm seeing the faults here are being caused by your atikmdag on most occasions trying to read an address by referencing a pointer to some invalid/corrupt location in memory most probably.
So we'll try with a memory diagnostics test first to make sure that everything in RAM is okay.

Download and run Memtest86 on boot: http://www.memtest86.com
  • Download Memtest86 and burn to disk. (If you need software to do so I would highly recommend a program called ImgBurn, and it's also free)
  • Reboot your computer and boot from the CD drive for which you have your Memtest86 disk.
    • You may need to load the Boot menu which will enable you to choose a device to boot from, otherwise you'll have to change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from CD drives as first priority before the HDD
  • Make sure to let it run and do it's thing for about the first 6 tests. If it passes those, then everything should be good, otherwise any failure to pass those tests indicates a corruption in your memory.
  • If you get an error on one of the tests, then you should try by booting up your computer with each RAM inserted separately one at a time. When you find one that doesn't return any errors then test it in every single RAM slot to test for a bad socket.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, took a while to run memtest for an extended period of time. Ran it last night for 7 hours and got this screen. What does it signify?

The BSODs have increased, got two this morning :(

Attachments

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It doesn't mean anything, if you look in the center you'll see that all the tests have passed, so your memory is fine supposedly.

It's been a while since i've visited this thread, but I would suggest wiping out your graphics driver with Driver Sweeper, and reinstall.

Reinstalling Drivers:

• 1. Make sure after uninstalling, that a reboot is made
    2. After rebooting your system install the necessary drivers, and do one more final reboot for all possible changes to take effect

Download and install Driver Sweeper to remove and reinstall the following drivers:

• - atikmdag.sys

*Please note the above steps for proper driver reinstallation

We can try further tests from there, but in the meantime you should post your newest dumps. ALWAYS remember to post the newest BSOD crash dumps. Depending on changes to your system things can be fairly different sometimes.

Reaction score
Installed DriverSweeper, removed all ATi drivers including atikmdag.sys. Downloaded the latest Ati drivers 12.1 and installed them. Got a BSOD as soon as the system rebooted.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused by atikmdag.sys and ntoskrnl.exe. I have attached the latest minidump. Would be great if you take a look, and thanks for your help.

Attachments

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try running chkdsk through the command prompt:

Code:
chkdsk /r
Also, if you could download CPU-Z and provide me screenshots of the "Memory" tab, and also screenshots with the "SPD" tab selected, and choosing from the combobox each of the Slot #'s.

Download here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Ace, I have attached the CPUz screenies. I ran chkdsk /r, ran for two hours, finished fine, rebooted and promptly threw a BSOD.

I have half a mind to get new RAM, but I have other upgrades planned and I don't want to throw money on a RAM unless needed.

Attachments

Ask a Question