BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure with Dump Files Attached

Reaction score
Also once you think you know what it is that is causing the problem, look for updated Drive or software for the device.
Hi,

Sorry for having to bring this up again, but I was unsuccessful in trying to unplug and locate the USB port that was causing it. Initially, I thought it was the ports in the front and it seemed to work perfectly for a couple of days, and then it stopped working so I tried testing each port in the back and had no luck.

I've had problems where the BSOD would occur during the middle of the day when I shut down, which was never problematic before. I've also tried unplugging ALL the USB devices for shut down and still, BSOD. There were a couple of times when it worked if I didn't touch anything, but all in all, it doesn't seem to be working.

I wanted to ask - I have an extra copy of Windows 7 Professional, can I just format this computer and install my own copy? I'm hoping that would fix the problem.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Shintaro

Reaction score
If you have the serial number for Win 7 Pro. But you will ned to back all you data up.

Did you want to upload the crash dumps and I 'll have another look?

Shintaro

Reaction score
We could run Driver Verifier, which should catch the problem.
(Borrowed from Zigzag3143 posts)

Driver verifier
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.
If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
If you have the serial number for Win 7 Pro. But you will ned to back all you data up.

Did you want to upload the crash dumps and I 'll have another look?
I do have my own copy of Win 7 Pro with serial. It's installed on my old computer that I can just format and use for this one.

I've attached the minidump files again for you to check out.

I'll also try running the proposed Driver Verifier this weekend and check to see if that works at all.

Thanks.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just to let you know, the Driver Verifier should catch the driver that is at fault. So it will still crash, but this time Driver Verifier will be watching and catch the driver causing the problem.
Hopefully.

Reaction score
Just to let you know, the Driver Verifier should catch the driver that is at fault. So it will still crash, but this time Driver Verifier will be watching and catch the driver causing the problem.
Hopefully.
Hi,

I ran this Driver Verifier for 48 hours through the weekend and no BSOD. I even had the USB drivers that I thought were problems (the front two) plugged in with my iPod charger and for the last two nights for shut down and nothing.

I have turned off my computer for the first time last night since running the Driver Verifier. Should I continue to have to ran until something comes up? Or should I turn it off and see if the BSOD shows up?

Sorry it's so troublesome. Please advise.

Thanks.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Please re-check driver verifier.

But please just use your PC as normal. Driver verifier will stay on between reboots.

It is no problem, we are here to help.

EDIT: "I think it turns off after 36 hours." Sorry this is wrong

Last edited:
Reaction score
Please re-check driver verifier. I think it turns off after 36 hours.

But please just use your PC as normal. Driver verifier will stay on between reboots.

It is no problem, we are here to help.
Okay, so I turned it on again. I'll keep the computer running for 36 hours. Hopefully it will crash to BSOD when I shut down tonight.
Thanks.

Shintaro

Reaction score
No need to leave it on specially for driver verifier, if you normally shut i down then that is ok. Just use your computer as you normally would.

Reaction score
No need to leave it on specially for driver verifier, if you normally shut i down then that is ok. Just use your computer as you normally would.
Hi,

I ran this for 36 hours as I normally would use my computer (random shut downs throughout the day) and on both shut downs at night when I have problems, no BSOD and shut down quickly like normal.

Should I keep running the driver verifier or give it a break and see how to goes for a few days?

Thanks.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Turn off verifier. See how it goes for a couple of days.

Ask a Question