BSoD - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL Randomly

Reaction score
My PC:
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate
Case - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX
MB - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX
CPU - AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition 3.4Ghz
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
RAM - G-Skill Ripjaw Series 4GB DDR3 1600 x4 (16GB)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5TB
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 4850
Display - ASUS MS238 23'' LED (Primary)
Display - VIZIO E-Series 60” Razor LED™ E601i-A3 (Secondary)

1st off my build is now 2 years old (built Feb 2011)

I used to have a serious blue screen issue when I 1st built it and it took forever to figure out what was causing it, basically I had my ram speed set to high. I have no had any persistent issues since Feb - May of 2011. Now recently I have been noticing more and more frequent BS's, but only when I am actually using my PC it is on 24/7 and I have program/games running all the time and I never wake up to a PC that has rebooted. I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or its just a fluke but the last 3 BS's have happened while browsing the internet 2 of which happened the exact moment I opened a new tab. I get the message Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. That is all I really know about them, I have included the last 5 dmp files which are not very frequent but very annoying, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How long have you had vmware installed? And virtualbox? And are you browsing or otherwise networking from inside the virtual environments? What OS are you running virtually?

You should update your drivers, especially video & networking in W7 as well as in your virtual environments.

Reaction score
I have had VMWare and Virtual Machine for probably a month or so but I not use them so I could just uninstall. I got them to try and play and old game and it did not work out, as far as my networking drivers for Win7 could you be more specific. As for my video card drivers the ones I am using are the only ones that work any version I have tried after these cause instant blue screens upon start up, thanks!
(All blue screens happen when in Win7, just to clarify I only used VMWare and Virtual Machine a few times)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the drivers for your motherboard, including built-in LAN connections, would be at ASUS Support (put in your OS version and look for the most recent copy under LAN). It doesn't look like ASUS has updated your MOBO drivers in some time so you might be up-to-date but it's a good idea to check. But if you use a USB adapter or plug in something to use cell service etc ... any peripheral devices you plug into your machine, drivers for those devices would have to come from their manufacturers website.

And the driver you should be using for your video card would be AMDs Catalyst Driver for Radeon ver 13.1 dated Jul 23, 2012. (This may be the version you have, I didn't go back and check)

I suggest you uninstall vmware and virtual machine and see if that helps.

How old are your old games? Are they DOS-based? If so try DOSBox. Or if they are simply 16-bit Windows then with W7 Ultimate you are entitled to a free copy of Virtual PC - XP mode from Microsoft. But I would suggest getting your system stable BEFORE adding anything new.

Reaction score
Ok I will try your advice uninstalling VirtBox and WMware now. As far as my built in LAN connection that died a long time ago when a comcast "tower" got struck by lightning took my router and built in Ethernet connection out.

As far as my video drivers are concerned I have tried so many different drivers and followed step by step instruction to make sure every trace of existing drivers were wiped before using the newest drivers but its always the same result BSoD on startup. (I am planning on getting a new card in the near future anyways)

Also the game I was trying so desperately to play was Lords of the Realm II but I could not figure out dosbox and both VMware and VirtualBox had either no sound or buggy graphics, so I gave up :(

Thanks so much for the help thus far!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your computer was hit by lightning and took out your ethernet connection then this could be a hardware problem with your MOBO.

Reaction score
My built in Ethernet card was zapped a few months after I built my PC, these BSoDs are recent. I am assuming the dmp files are saying the BSoDs have something to do with my LAN connection? Currently I am using an after market PCI-E Ethernet adapter but I also have a wireless adapter installed as well (I disabled which ever one I am not using).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am assuming the dmp files are saying the BSoDs have something to do with my LAN connection?
Not directly, no. The DMPs point to TCPIP.SYS which is a windows system file related to networking.

But the cause of most BSODs other than a virus is bad drivers. Since TCPIP is network related it is logical you should check your network drivers.

I don't know what else to suggest.

Reaction score
Ok well as you can see from the dates the only reason I was freaking out was I got one BSoD a day for 3 days in a row, but now I've had nothing in 2 days, if I get another one now that I have uninstalled the two virtual machines I will post it and see if it still points in the same direction, thanks!

Reaction score
Theeeeeeeere Baaaaaaaack, Lol

Here are the most recent .dmp files again I no longer have VMware or Virtual Machine installed. Obviously these are very sparse and not the end of the world but still quite annoying at any rate. Any help further pin pointing what the culprit is would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is still pointing to the windows network-related system file TCPIP.SYS. Maybe try posting your DMPs in another Windows 7 forum with more active experienced debuggers.

You have a Realtek ethernet driver (Rtnic64.sys) from May 30th, 2008. Check with Realtek for something newer.

I suggest you run the AMD autodetect tool and see if it has any newer drivers for you, HERE.

You also have the Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility (ASACPI.sys) installed which is known to cause BSODs on some machines, I suggest you try uninstalling that.

Reaction score
Any recommendations of good sites to try out? Just had another BSoD today they are so random, its annoying.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I haven't really gone to any others in about 3 years but just type "Windows 7 Forums" into a search engine.

Be sure to look at their requirements for BSOD help. Many want more than just the DMP files and your computer specs.

Ask a Question