BSOD but no minidump available

Reaction score
Hi there, wondering if you could help me :)

I used to have vista and always got the atikmdag.sys error with a black sreen for a few seconds, especially during heavy 3d games. So just today upgraded to windows 7 home premium, with hopes it would disappear.

unfortunately though i still get the black screen but after a few seconds the screen comes back to live, with screen flickering afterwards (so not really crashing), and then it black screen's again and comes back to live again. this black screen is totally random. So when i exit a game after the black screen, the flickering even effects my desktop and graphics are messed up

i checked C:\Windows\Minidump but that folder does not exist on my pc/ or version of windows.

my motherboard is a micro-star 790GX-G65 (MS7576)
my graphic card is a ati radeon HD 4850 with the latest driver 10.7

attached is some dxdiag info.. please let me know if i could provide any other info

please please help :D ....i am close to throwing my desktop out of the window... .:dontknow:

EDIT: Ok i got a dumpfile....just uninstalled the CCC of Ati and restarted the computer, all the sudden got a BSOD...attached is the file

Attachments

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all, don't throw your computer out the window, you may hit someone and such.

Second, did you do an "Upgrade" install over Vista? If so that may be the cause of your issues. I would recommend a clean or "custom" install, your system will run much better that way. Users which have gone the "Upgrade" route have had problems more often than not.

Send a PM to TorrentG, he is the Jedi Master of BSODs! He'll probably be able to help ya out.

Reaction score
lol It's alright to chuck it out the window if you first make sure there isn't anything living close by.

Or you could do this instead:

1) Update your network driver.

Code:
Rt86win7 Rt86win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:22 2009
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=driverfile&dno=2474&i=0

2) Update your HD Audio driver:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=driverfile&dno=2423&i=0

3) Update the video card driver as the one you have now is from February. This will make it from July:

Code:
atikmpag atikmpag.sys Tue Feb 02 22:23:43 2010

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Nibiru and Torrent G, really appreciate your help.....

@nibiru : well yes actually it was a clean windows 7 install and not an upgrade. The setup has put my vista into windows.old folder and totally installed windows 7 new, without any setting or programs from before

@torrent G: Thanks, Boss.... I'll try your solutions after work today..finally a small glimmer of hope of my endless atikmdag crash saga

...last night i also updated my BIOS/motherboard driver from the Micro-star website from version 1.xxx to 4.xxx (nearly got a heart attack, because at first it gave me a bad check sum and freeze at windows startup, but somehow fixed itself after restart)...afterwards i tried a game and did not get a crash/black screen/ freeze for 15 minutes, but then went to sleep. Need some more testing though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hear that about the bios upgrade. With most bios update utilities, including MSI's, it is now a very safe process. Pretty much the only thing that can go wrong is if you lose power to the machine while flashing. Other than that, there are many forms of protection to disallow a broken machine.

In any case, you would do well to update those drivers shown, regardles of persistent issues or not.

Very good move on your part with the bios upgrade, however. Cool.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
BIOS firmware updates can be a little tricky sometimes.

I've never trusted the ones done through the Windows setup though.

That's why I keep a USB Floppy external drive and some 3.5" floppy disks around just for that purpose.

Updating through DOS is one of the two most reliable ways to do a firmware upgrade, the other is in the BIOS itself with a special F-key function and using a thumb drive.

Reaction score
great!

before I start with the update of network, audio driver and video card driver :

should I first uninstall the old drivers and use a driver cleaner, or can I directly install the new ones, without uninstalling and cleaning?

Would you have a recommendation for which driver cleaner program I should use?

many thanks!

Reaction score
No prior cleaning or removal necessary. Download and install.

Many you're welcomes! heh

Reaction score
Unbelievable! after months of going through this pain of the atikmdag.sys error and checking hundreds of forums for some solutions , i think its finally working..... just did 3 rounds of starcraft 2 and ran my machine for a couple of hours in the 3 D and no errors or bsod's at all

i updated all the drivers as you said... thank you so much again!!!

Ask a Question