Browsing issue

Reaction score
Ran into an odd problem with a new desktop with Windows 7 installed, where I seem to be able to connect to some sites but not others e.g. I can search with Bing and Yahoo!, but not with Google; I can connect to the Guardian for news, but not BBC News.

I am able to ping all those sites from the command prompt. I have tried using the IP from the ping to connect using the IP address directly, but the result has been the same.

This seems to be only a problem with the desktop; other computers connected to the network can browse fine (I am typing this from a laptop).

What I've tried so far:
Flushing DNS
Running in safe mode
Disabling and re-enabling the network device
Using various browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome)
Re-installing Windows 7
Winsock reset

None of these methods seem to have had any effect: I am still connected, can browse some websites, but the websites that were inaccessible still do not load.

Any ideas what might be causing this/how this problem can be resolved?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
This probably won't help, but... Try running Namebench and changing the DNS servers used by your router to ones recommended by Namebench.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What browser are you using? And what add-ins? Try disabling your add-ins and see if you get access then.

As Core mentioned, it is also possible the DNS server you are using is giving you issues.

Shintaro

Reaction score
It might be DNS, but I would think that if all the PC's on the network are using DHCP (Gettting the IP Address and DNS info dynamically from a DHCP Server) then everyone will be getting the same information and have the same problem.

I would suggest that you look at things like firewall settings and even C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Sometimes viruses can modify that file to re-direct you anywhere they want or if an admin doesn't want you to go to a site.(You will need Admin rights on the machine to modify that file BTW)

It should be empty. A "#" means a comment, so anything after the # will not work.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

Reaction score
Have tried Namebench, which runs fine but doesn't fix the problem (it tells me that I could get more efficient DNS connections, but that seems like optimization rather than resolving basic connection problems).

To clarify, I have also tried:
- Turning off Windows Firewall
- Turning off AVG (note: the problem was there on the fresh install, before I even downloaded AVG or installed it)
- checking the hosts file
- using IE, Mozilla, Chrome

The problem seems to remain the same:
- The desktop can connect to the network, but certain websites like Google just cannot load
- those websites show up fine when pinged using the command prompt
- other computers on the network have no such problems with browsing

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I had an issue where I couldnt reach specific websites because of a dns issue which flushing cache didnt fix, but changing dns did. Namebench itself doesnt fix anything, but changing the dns would at least exclude them as a possibility.

Ask a Question