Blue screen possibly related to bootcat.cache

Reaction score
I am pretty good with computers but not extremely technical so I would appreciate any help.

Yesterday when I turned on my computer, which is dual booting both XP and windows 7, I went to go into windows 7 and I received the BSOD. I googled and found that it was possibly due to the bootcat.cache file. The solution as many people seem to be saying is to delete the file and restart windows 7. I tried that but it did not work so I copied the bootcat.cache file from my wifes laptop running windows 7 and it did load but it took much longer than usual to load up. Once inside windows 7 it runs at the same speed as usual. But when I shut down and start the computer again the BSOD comes back. I keep having to replace the file everytime because it is being modified. Once I have copied the file which is 3.5 MB in size and I load up windows 7 the file is changed to only 9kb in size.

What is going on, I have too much information to format my drives.

Windows xp also is not properly responding, it loads up but then when I go to do something within a few minutes it locks up and freezes under different user accounts it will lock up.

I have scanned both drives and OS's for viruses etc and it found a few things but nothing of major concern.

Any ideas?

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am pretty good with computers but not extremely technical so I would appreciate any help.

Yesterday when I turned on my computer, which is dual booting both XP and windows 7, I went to go into windows 7 and I received the BSOD. I googled and found that it was possibly due to the bootcat.cache file. The solution as many people seem to be saying is to delete the file and restart windows 7. I tried that but it did not work so I copied the bootcat.cache file from my wifes laptop running windows 7 and it did load but it took much longer than usual to load up. Once inside windows 7 it runs at the same speed as usual. But when I shut down and start the computer again the BSOD comes back. I keep having to replace the file everytime because it is being modified. Once I have copied the file which is 3.5 MB in size and I load up windows 7 the file is changed to only 9kb in size.

What is going on, I have too much information to format my drives.

Windows xp also is not properly responding, it loads up but then when I go to do something within a few minutes it locks up and freezes under different user accounts it will lock up.

I have scanned both drives and OS's for viruses etc and it found a few things but nothing of major concern.

Any ideas?

We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

Reaction score
minidump files attached in response to BSOD

As requested I have attached my minidump files that I have so far. Please let me know how to proceed.

I did try to install soundblaster audigy drivers recently but it did not detect the sound card and I also installed the EPU-4 engine for my motherboard, it did not work the first time as it froze but the second install did work, which controls my fan speed as it was too loud under windows 7.

cheers,

Attachments

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As requested I have attached my minidump files that I have so far. Please let me know how to proceed.

I did try to install soundblaster audigy drivers recently but it did not detect the sound card and I also installed the EPU-4 engine for my motherboard, it did not work the first time as it froze but the second install did work, which controls my fan speed as it was too loud under windows 7.

cheers,
Several things

1-Please remove any CD visualization programs such as Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%.

They use a driver, found in your dmp, called sptd.sys, that is notorious for causing BSODs.

Use this SPTD uninstaller DuplexSecure - Downloads http://duplexsecure.com/faq

when you're done you can use this Freeware MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM(MagicDisc) in its place.

2-Remains of Norton need to be removed.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

3-AVG. Remove and replace with Microsoft Security essentials,

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities

or

http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe

or

http://www.wargeek.net/avg-removal-tool.html

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Reaction score
I need more assistance if possible.

I emailed in the forums a week or so ago concering a BSOD due to bootcat.cache. I did as you asked and removed AVG etc....the only way I can get into windows 7 is to restart through a USB key and go to the command prompt and every startup replace the bootcat.cache file with one, from my wifes laptop, I have stored in a different directory so it is never modified.

This is quite annoying. Are you aware of what I have to do so I do not have to do this process every single time I start my computer.

I used bluescreen viewer to view my minidump files.
The files that have been involved so far are ntoskrnl.exe, tdx.sys, ntkrnlpa.exe, msrpc.sys.

I installed microsoft essentials and scanned and it found one virus that was labeled as modifying certain files but after removing I still have the problem.

It takes longer than normal to load up windows 7 but once I am inside everything runs smoothly and my games are fine etc....

thanks so much.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I emailed in the forums a week or so ago concering a BSOD due to bootcat.cache. I did as you asked and removed AVG etc....the only way I can get into windows 7 is to restart through a USB key and go to the command prompt and every startup replace the bootcat.cache file with one, from my wifes laptop, I have stored in a different directory so it is never modified.

This is quite annoying. Are you aware of what I have to do so I do not have to do this process every single time I start my computer.

I used bluescreen viewer to view my minidump files.
The files that have been involved so far are ntoskrnl.exe, tdx.sys, ntkrnlpa.exe, msrpc.sys.

I installed microsoft essentials and scanned and it found one virus that was labeled as modifying certain files but after removing I still have the problem.

It takes longer than normal to load up windows 7 but once I am inside everything runs smoothly and my games are fine etc....

thanks so much.
DId you use the un-install tool link I provided?

Do you have the win & dvd to do a repair install?

DO you have a backup?

Reaction score
help

I tried all of that and nothing.

I cannot do a fresh reinstall as I do not want to lose all my data.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I tried all of that and nothing.

I cannot do a fresh reinstall as I do not want to lose all my data.
Have you replaced AVG with another malware app?

Just in case please download malwarebytes and run it.

You might also want to google bootcat.cache to see if anyone else has had this problem and found a fix.

Did you do the repair install?

Reaction score
have exactly the same problem as Loopylulu had to copy the boot catche file from another laptop which is exactly the same in order to get it to boot otherwise i get the same error code.Before i had the copy file i would have to run system restore which would work now and again but eventualy even this would not work.
I can not reinstal because i do not have access to installation files needed for some of the programs i am using.
so to recap i keep on bluescreening with error code 0000006b, system restore does not work and i can not get into desktop.
I have tried hardisk in another laptop which does not have any issues but the same happens.
If i replace the bootcat.catche file it will boot and there are no problems, so i now have a copy on my desktop and have to delete the old file and replace it with the one on the desktop before i shut down otherwise i am back to bsod, however i have noticed that when laptop restarts the same installed file wich i have just replaced in the system files is larger , so what happens in the shut down or start up process to make the file larger and is this what is causing the problem, ps all my hair is gone help

Ask a Question