Bios has a password on HDD after restarting after a glitch?

Reaction score
Hi, I was putting in a SD card and it was reading it but I noticed it wasn't seated properly so I did that and it stopped reading the card, and froze the open window. I tried killing the process of explorer.exe, but it wouldn't close it, so I told it to restart. It said logging off for over 15 minutes so I pressed the power button. When it restarted it said HDD password required. I have never put a HDD password in the bios at all. I tried taking out the cmos battery, and I left it out for over 6 hours but to no avail. Does anyone know of this happening or how to fix it? I thought taking out the battery for a while was supossed to clear the bios. Or will installing a fresh copy of windows even do anything because its a password on the bios?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI a BIOS password is not stored on the Hard Drive, it is stored on an EPROM chip. If you have a BIOS password set there will be two pins on your motherboard that you can short across to reset to the factory BIOS password. We will need the MOBO make/model if you want more help on what to short out.

Ask a Question