Big update

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
c_c it looks like we each dropped a big-adv wu during the same update period.

Nice teamwork buddy! Congrats on your first.:D

Attachments

Reaction score
Thanks yodap! :)

They give me a standard SMP right afterward and it only took about 4 hours to complete.

I'm on a 2684 bigadv now and its taking 46 minutes for every 1 percent at a 3.8 clock. Thats 3.2 days to completion, my first one the 2686 only took 2.4 days. It will be awhile before I am used to seeing these TPF (Time Per Frame) numbers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I wish they could have left the point levels alone. I was looking forward to making 50K PPD with BigAdv. The dual and quad socket machines was making way too many points. They didn't really have a choice in leaving the point system alone and even I could see the point drop coming.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yeah, sad but necessary. I got one 2684 in before the drop and was credited about 98 or 99k if I recall. You should make about 75k on that one. The gpu is probably slowing down your tpf by a couple minutes. If you you're up against the deadline you can terminate the gpu client for a while. At 4.2 my tpf is about 39 min. with the gpu running.
I currently have a 6900 working at 30:45 tpf with 1 gpu going.

Anyhow, enjoy it

Reaction score
I'm currently running at 4.0GHz. :)

I bought the Zalman CPU Cooler like you have and two extra 120 mm fans. At the moment I am using the resistor block that came with the CPU. Eventually I will take the resistor block off, I don't think the sound will be too much for me. Trying to get a feel of what all my options will give me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I still have my Q9400 rig but it needs a graphics card. I thought about setting it up to run without a graphics card. I could then use the V7 Client to control folding from my rig. I need to learn how to setup V7 Client for remote controlling anyway.

Reaction score
Hey Tanner, have you had a chance to read my Folding Guide?

I'd be grateful for any and all suggestions.

If they ever decide to update the V7 Client again, I will be adding it to my guide.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I bought the Zalman CPU Cooler like you have and two extra 120 mm fans.
Did it fit in okay?
Are you doing a push/pull? I have an extra 120 fan but haven't install it yet. It's sitting on the bottom of the case blowing over the vid card.

Reaction score
Did it fit in okay?
I have the same problem as you with the memory module. If the fan was a quarter inch narrower it would slide down behind the memory module.

Are you doing a push/pull?
Not exactly, there is one 120mm fan that came mounted on the back, blowing the CPU exhaust out of the case. There is very little room between the fan and CPU heatsink. The two extra 120mm fans was mounted to the top of the case directly above the CPU blowing air out as well. I'm not sure placing an extra fan pulling air from the CPU, in my case would help or not.

I have thought about building a shroud of some sort for the case fan on the back to shroud the CPU. That would give it a pulling effect much the same way.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Clifford, I can tell already you're going to be using watercooling in your future... :D

I actually don't recommend removing the fan resistor to max it out, not unless you're sure you can replace it if needed. I've owned a few Zalmans and they do become audible at max speed, even thought it was capped by the controller. The boost in performance shouldn't be very much for all the trouble...

Ask a Question