SOLVED Best virtual machine software

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm looking to set up a virtual machine on my 64bit home premium set-up.
Why? Well I want to install my own set up in a different environment without b*gg*r*ng up my main system!!

I'm an inveterate tinkerer and some of the changes I've adapted from my old XP set up and installed into my new 7 set-up ain't working. Specifically, changes in shell32.dll string values (XP), adapted and inserted into (both) Win7 shell32.dll.mui string values haven't happened, but they're there (they have worked before though, prior to repair/upgrade install).

Freeware would be nice but trial period would be OK as it won't/shouldn't take me too long to sort out what I need to.
One of the other things is adding software shortcut links to I.E.8**. Don't ask me why, I.E.8 is a B.O.S. It's still searching for alternative search engines, then again, it's only been three months, shouldn't expect tooooo much I suppose, poor wee thing (Gods sake, give me I.E.7 back!!).** For I.E.8 read Firefox, I've give up with I.E.8 now!!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There you go! Virtual Box is the best of all of the freebies, as far as VM's go. You can run Linux OS's within Windows and Windows OS's in Linux OS's. Windows 7 looks superb setting in Virtual Box in Mint 9, you'd hardly know the difference from the regular install.

And of course, you can run XP & below using Virtual Box on Windows 7. It's far better than Windows Virtual PC is, and I'm telling you from experience. The only advantage you get with Virtual PC is a free version on XP Mode. Virtual Box, VMWare Player, and some others requires you to have your own OS to install within it. As far as that goes, I've had Win 2K and XP Pro for a while running in both. But nothing tops Windows 7 running within Mint through Virtual Box, I mean nothing. The best of both worlds, so to speak.

Cat

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
You do know if you anytime upgrade to W7 Pro that VirtualXPmode is a free download right, but not for Home Premium? I use this one and is the main reason I went 2 W7PRO...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
Yea, I did know that. I perhaps got a tad too excited that I was getting a new PC with 7 on it to really consider which version of 7 I was getting!! Consider that I've been stuck (through choice initially) with XP since its release (B.O.S until SP1!!) until February this year. But, being the tinkerer I am, I soon discovered the limitations of Home Premium as against other versions and I just can't stop (don't like that icon, I can word that better etc. etc.!!).

Give me a perfectly good system and I'll rip it apart until it isn't!!

D'loading now.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As a tinkerer, you may also consider upgrading to pro so you have the Group Policy Editor (not available in Home nor Starter).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Elmer, welcome to the forum! I missed it on my first post to your thread, I feel that you'll enjoy it here.

About 7 Pro, I feel that you'll enjoy that too. I got mine through the Anytime Upgrade option in the Start Menu. With taxes, it was under $100, and it's worth the cost. There are about six options that you don't have in Home Premium, XP Mode is only one of them. There's advanced backup options, if you're interested in it, an encrypting file system, remote desktop host, location aware printing and Domain Join and Group Policy Controls. I don't understand why more computers (desktops & notebooks alike) doesn't offer 7 Pro as stock, especially the ones that costs over $800 or so. If you buy a Latitude, 7 Pro is stock, but look at what you pay, you should get Ultimate for that price.

Whichever VM software that works best for you is the best one. Everyone uses their computer differently, for various reasons. With so many businesses still on XP, Microsoft had no choice in entering the VM market (actually, they entered it around 2004). But now they need it more than ever, so outcomes XP Mode, which can help users make a smooth transition from XP Pro to 7 Pro (or higher).

Hopefully, you'll get one going soon, and you'll be rolling.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm another advocate of Virtual Box, it makes for a great environment for testing another OS without breaking anything ;). There are frequent updates to it that often include some handy fixes for new OS releases or even things such as basic 3D acceleration.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Okay, now I've marked this thread as answered, which it is to the question asked, but now I've hit a problem.
No matter what I've tried I cannot get Virtualbox (3.2.4) to recognise/load the ISO image I'm trying to install. (A straight copy of my own DVD). I get the black "no bootable media found" screen. I don't really want to load it from the actual DVD player as, in the past, I've had conflicts with my actual (XP) system doing it that way when using Windows VM (CRASH!!).
For now I've downloaded the VMWare player which has loaded the ISO and updated the VM O.K..
But I would much prefer to be using Virtualbox, mainly because it's smaller. Space isn't an issue though, put it down to running XP on a 20gb HDD. (Yes, TWENTY gb, I didn't miss a zero off!!) So if anyone could tell me were I'm obviously going wrong I'd be eternally grateful.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Okay. Call me Dumb-Ass !!
I loaded the ISO File into my DVDFab virtual BD-ROM Drive, told VirtualBox to look for the V:\Virtual drive. Started up my virtual PC and there you go!!
Weird Thing #1 Never could and probably never will be able to get my head around installing security software in a virtual PC within a security software protected environment though!

Weird Thing #2 No matter how hard I try I cannot get I.E.8 to function properly, hence I installed FF. Yet on my virtual set up....... No Problem!! Go figure.

Last edited:

Ask a Question