Backup and Restore problem

Reaction score
I am attempting to copy some files from my desktop onto an external hard drive with Backup and Restore. I am using, for this, the control panel. It seems, on the panel, that everything is in order. Thus I request it to back up daily at 3pm. However, when I later look, it hasn't copied to the external drive any of the desktop files. What's the problem? I am also in the process of backing the "library" files up by pressing on the control panel the "backup" button myself. But after 60 minutes, the progress bar has hardly budged.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Back-up and Restore is not used to "copy some files" in the sense that when it is done you will see the list of files on the other drive; it creates a block of information of all the files in libraries and personal folders for all users and the system. Supposedly this block of data then is just edited for changes since the last back-up. The problem is, when I was using this on my system weekly, sometimes it would take 30 minutes and sometimes it would run for over 10 hours; it didn't seem to make sense. Most of the regulars here don't use the windows back-up and restore. You can check out our freeware DB for some back-up utility programs that may better suit your need. Or if you simply wish to have actual files copied from one drive to another you might look into Microsoft SyncToy 2.1

Ask a Question