avg antivirus skrewed my win7

Reaction score
Hi

well, i installed win7.
i customized my desktop & all (to show my computer on the desktop for example)...
i installed comodo firewall & avg antivirus. & after i restarted my pc all my customization was gone!

i got the normal aero theme & all (that i previously canceled)... + the system didn't allow my to run almost anything by saying something like "your current internet security settings prohibit running....." or something similar.

so i uninstalled comodo firewall to check if this is what skrewed me. & no. so i uninstalled avg - & yes. this was the one. i now can run things. but for example when i want to customize mt desktop icons & show my computer on the desktop - i can't! i click it but nothing happens. so i enter the persenolize menu again - & the "V" that i checked there near show my computer is unchecked...

i don't mind right now about what anti virus to use, i just want to set it to be good again. how?
thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like a recent install. I would probably just run the system restore and start over setting things how you want them.

Reaction score
ok
any ideas how to solve it without reinstalling? :)

it's like... it can't save any setting changes. but i'm the admin!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's not a reinstall, that is just using the recovery disks to repair system files.

If you have restore points you could try rolling back to a previous time, before the issues.

If all it is is a matter of not having enough rights to do something you could turn off UAC. See this other post ...
https://www.w7forums.com/administration-rights-t6710.html

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If your going to use security software such as Comodo and AVG, you need to realize that there are settings and such which can be done in the respective software installed.

Comodo goes through what is know as a "learning or training" mode so it can optimize it's settings. The same with AVG.

Try the System Restore method mentioned by TM and see how that works out for you.

By the time you mess with all this it just be better to do a clean install again of Windows 7. Then use Microsoft Security Essentials as your AV program. It's highly rated, small footprint and works well.

Reaction score
sys restore will just restore sys files? what if i downloaded some files? will it delete them & restore my desktop to the last condition (when i didn't downloaded my files (mp3'w & stuff...)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Downloaded files and installed programs including files/folders on your desktop will not be affected by the system repair disks (these are disks you were to have created right after install). Rolling back to a restore point will not delete files but it could affect installs done since the checkpoint was taken (it will warn you of programs that would be effected).

Nibs, I can tell you that I personally have so much crap installed and apply so many tweaks that for me it takes 3 days to redo everything if I reinstall. It wouldn't be as hard if it was a corporation where you have a build model but I do everything myself. I have a huge directory of my tweaks and I still forget things because sometimes I edit on-the-fly and forget to write that stuff down - IE & FF settings for example. If I didn't maintain my install and tweak files I would never even get back close to where I was. Truth is, 6 mos into W7 I still haven't reinstalled all my games. So, though a reinstall may be fast for you, it isn't for everyone.

Last edited:

Ask a Question