Auto Arrange Registry Edit

Reaction score
Hello,

For all of you Windows 7 users who have been annoyed (like myself) at the removal of "Auto Arrange", a fix/hack has been discovered.

It was discovered by Ramesh Srinivasan @ http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-explorer-windows-7/

(Taken from the site)
I’m writing this article specifically for Windows 7, because the FullRowSelect registry key that you used in Windows Vista, doesn’t work in Windows 7.....

&

Auto arrange menu option is back. Atlast, you can disable Auto arrange option when in "icons" view. This wasn’t possible in Windows 7 earlier.....

It involves editing the Registry so I don't reccomend it for everyone, however, I have had limited Registry Editing experience and I was able to follow the step by step instructions with complete success. I can confirm that the fix/hack does enable you to use "Auto Arrange" but I can not guarentee that your system will remain stable after the edit, as editing the Registry can cause problems if done incorrectly. If you edit the Registry you do so at your own risk.

Enjoy,

shantelleno1

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What kind of hack is this, and what is it for? In general, hacking is not a topic of discussion here.

Reaction score
What kind of hack is this, and what is it for? In general, hacking is not a topic of discussion here.
As stated in my post...It involves editing the Registry...so it is not an illegal hack, it is a Registry Edit and it is used to allow users to arrange their files on their pc, ie: Auto Arrange...as stated in the thread title

Shantelle.

Reaction score
Hi shantelleno1 - Welcome to w7forums

Thanks for posting this information.

I'm better at making registry edits than the average person. I actually did crash a computer one time when making a registry change. Wow, now that I think about it that was about 12 years ago. As long as the changes are not done to obtain software illegally, for the most part will be exceptable here. However, as you stated do so at your own risk.

---------------------------------------------
P.S. - This is my 2000 post. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, shantelleno1! Does this mean you can arrange your files any way you please? I'm not familiar with messing with the Registry, but if there's an advantage to be gained by doing so, I'm all ears. So does this mean instead of a single file being present in different folders, it can be combined into one?

Reaction score
Since it's release, Windows 7 does not allow users to simply click on a file and drag it to a destination of their choice inside any folders. For instance, if you had five images numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5, you could not drag file number 2 and drop it between 4 & 5. A lot of users are not happy with this. After editing the registry using the tutorial at the above address, users are now able to arrange files inside of folders as they see fit.

Shantelle.

Ask a Question