Attachments

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Is there a reason why .rar files are not accepted for upload?
Zip files, made with the same program, seem to be OK.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There's a file type limit within the forum software and rar files weren't added by default - but I'll add it now for you :)

It should be working in a few mins. :D

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
And thus began the Great Virus War of 2010.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And thus began the Great Virus War of 2010.
Why do you think that?
If I .rar a file, and it is needed, as often, in zip format, I just change the handle without any preliminaries..Wheres the difference?

Thanks Ian.

Fwiw."Depends on who's making the request... I'm still waiting for that hentai forum. "
I have no particular affiliation with Ian, to me he is just a cyber name. I really don't think there is any favouritism being exoressed, it is the nature of the request. I am sure Ian will get around to it. (whatever it is!)

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I'm glad to see RAR files finally accepted here.

A request I would like to make would be to allow a larger file upload, say up to 10MB.

Also it would be a good idea to make some of the more informative threads become stickys since they're accessed a lot.

Just my two cents.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It's just my sense of humour, Davehc. It can be kind of obscure at times.

I personally prefer .rar to .zip, myself.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ok, no offense taken. You excuse my very low quality typing, and I'll lol up at your humour---LOL

Reaction score
I'm not too keen on RAR but definitely do not see anything wrong with them. RAR is just not what I store my things in. One request though is for passworded RAR's not to be allowed.

Reaction score
It's not possible to programmatically filter passworded RAR files, but I will surely be deleting any RAR (or ZIP, for that matter) that our users report to be passworded.

I prefer RAR because it frequently offers a better compression ratio than ZIP.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not too keen on RAR but definitely do not see anything wrong with them. RAR is just not what I store my things in. One request though is for passworded RAR's not to be allowed.
Yeah, I'm not sure on how to prevent passworded archives - but we'll keep an eye out for anything that shouldn't be here. :)

I also normally use RAR files because of the better compression, but there is also the ability to add a "recovery record" which allows for a little corruption in data and will still allow complete data extraction. I think by default there is a 1% overhead, but you can crank this up a little and gain some extra protection. Nowadays the default value is often fine, but when floppy's were used it was a different case ;). I still use the RR at 5% for site backups out of old habit :D

Ask a Question