Outlook 2010 picture attachments won't rotate

Reaction score
When I view a picture that someone sends me attached to an e-mail, I cannot rotate the picture without unchecking the Read Only box in Properties for the picture file. Is there a way to make the default that these pictures not be Read Only so I can rotate without having to go through this each time..

Reaction score
Unfortunately thats is the only way to remove the read only flag. That is unless you find who or what is marking them read only and never mark them read only to begin with.

Reaction score
I just switched over to Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 from Windows XP and Outlook 2003. Before I could always rotate the pictures I received attached to e-mails but now I never can without going through this process. Could it have something to do with security settings?

Reaction score
If the images are being sent to you as read only files, you will not be able to modify them at all until the read only flag is removed.

I'm not familiar with Outlook 2003 or 2010, so I wouldn't know what your options were with either of the apps. As far as I know, Outlook could have allowed you to rotate the view without actually altering the image.

KBL

Reaction score
To rotate pictures (.jpg) and scanned attachments (scan 0000) to email in Outlook 2010:

A .jpg attachment should open (click on it twice) in whatever program you ordinarily use to open pictures. In that program, you should have a Rotate command.

A scanned document can be opened, copied and pasted into Word 2010 where you can click on it once and pull the Rotate Handle (green button at top of document) around to whatever position you want.

If the attachment is a .docx document or picture, it will open in Word 2010 without copying and you can go up to the top of the document or picture and use the Rotate Handle (green button) to pull the picture or document into any position you desire.

I hope this was helpful. I suspect the procedure depends entirely on the nature of the attachment. It really IS a pain.

Last edited:

Ask a Question