Atl tab in games results in black screen

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a W7 issue or not but I never had this problem with XP.

Alt tabbing to desktop from a running game is causing the black screen problems since my install. I am unable to get back to desktop or to the game after doing this. It happens in these games:

Crysis
Farcry 2
CountersStrike Source
Team Fortress 2

Anyone got a solution for this problem?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also COD 4 doesnt even load. All I get is this black screen and the only solution is to restart my PC,

Come on Windows 7.. get this fixed please...

Reaction score
That's odd, i used to have Alt-Tabbing problems with Cod4 on vista, but with W7, alt tabbing a breeze, just occasionally it will black screen.

Did you do an upgrade install or a fresh install?

Reaction score
Hey could run in it in "window mode" if you really have to get back to the desktop .. at least that's what I would do

Reaction score
That's odd, i used to have Alt-Tabbing problems with Cod4 on vista, but with W7, alt tabbing a breeze, just occasionally it will black screen.

Did you do an upgrade install or a fresh install?
It was a fresh install on a brand new computer

Reaction score
it's seem this black screen problem is link to COmodo antivirus. Just switched to training mode and got it running properly.

Reaction score
I have this problem too, but sometimes if I press ALT+Tab a few times it eventually goes back in to the game. It might be giving the window focus to something else between the desktop and game, I don't really know.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I can't speak for Far Cry but alt-tabbing any of Valve's games works fine with Windows 7 on my system.

The black screen appears while the system is trying to reload (and catch up to) the running game, if you wait up to a few minutes it should be able to reload on most systems. TF2 usually takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to reload on mine, but I've seen other systems take up to 15 or more.

Reaction score
The blank screen from alt tabbing isnt W7 it is your video card............

your video card cant handle the sudden stop of the process of video rendering and halts the screen till it refreashes to the desktop try a better vid card

Ask a Question