I want to teach myself to type faster and more accuratly.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Any suggestions on software or on-line sites that could help me achieve this monumental feat?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any sites or any apps, but I have a few tips, which helped me to achieve fast typing.
Here goes:
  • The main idea, is to remember around where is which area is which key.
  • Once your fingers know what direction to go, you can try typing while half looking at the keyboard.
  • Start by typing the alphabet, gradualy getting faster and faster.
  • Don't stop at each mistake. It's faster to type them correct than to stop every two seconds.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
That sounds like it takes discipline.lol

Thanks.

Reaction score
I was reading one time, a company was selling keyboard covers so you couldn't see the letters when you looked down. The ability to look down is a big handicap when it comes to learning to type correctly. If you are serious about learning to type, you could purchase a cheap keyboard and scrape off the letters so you would not know which letters are which by looking down. This would probably be cheaper than buying a cover for the keyboard you are using. This would allow you to concentrate on which finger you need to use to get the correct keys while learning where the keys are by touch and not by sight.

One last thing, even though the letters are not visible on the keyboard, you could have a chart printed out somewhere beside the computer. The correct finger placement and keyboard layout for a quick reference would be great until you find you no longer need the chart.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I'm doing this myself as well, and I highly recommend Mavis Beacon.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yoda P., more accurately? I believe the first step then is to get an ergonomic keyboard - if you don't already have one. This seems like a very good one: http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=20.

Sami-FIN
No offense Sami-FIN, but these "ergonomic" keyboards are a joke! Hardly anyone uses them and personally I find them very uncomfortable to use.

I have been touch-typing for over 44 years and these gimmicks don't fly at all.

Accuracy in typing is practice, practice, practice, and practice some more!

I have talked with many people who do input via keyboard on a daily basis and no one likes these style of keyboards. They have tried them and within a day or two the keyboard was placed into the dreaded "File 13".

Not trying to rain on your suggestion, so to speak. But an "ergonomic" keyboard has nothing to do with accuracy.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
No offense Sami-FIN, but these "ergonomic" keyboards are a joke! Hardly anyone uses them and personally I find them very uncomfortable to use.

I have been touch-typing for over 44 years and these gimmicks don't fly at all.

Accuracy in typing is practice, practice, practice, and practice some more!

I have talked with many people who do input via keyboard on a daily basis and no one likes these style of keyboards. They have tried them and within a day or two the keyboard was placed into the dreaded "File 13".

Not trying to rain on your suggestion, so to speak. But an "ergonomic" keyboard has nothing to do with accuracy.
Agreed.

In general, BUT NOT ALWAYS, things that are said to be "ergonomic" are often the contrary, and uncomfortable. Eg: ergonomic chairs.
And even if it did help, you're not always going to have an ergonomic keyboard at hand.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the "ergonomic" chairs. Tried one once and thought that I was gonna have to go see a masseuse for the aching back and legs.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
LMAO! Let's see here, I can get one new for $295 or a refurbished one for $189.

WTH?? Even the chick is not very hot looking either! I'll just wait for cybernetic implants and then I'll change.

Then you can call me "Four of TwentyTwelve" ! LOL

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
:lol: :D :lol:

Hey, I like hijacking my own thread! :lol:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
My wife uses (and swears by) one of those funky ergonomic keyboards where there is a huge gap smack dab in the middle of the keys. I hate that thing with a passion.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife uses (and swears by) one of those funky ergonomic keyboards where there is a huge gap smack dab in the middle of the keys. I hate that thing with a passion.
Maybe it is ergonomic to your wifes hand?
Out of all people that use ergonomic things, it is only ergonomic for a few.

Ask a Question