Asus Drivers for Windows 7 - Discussion

Reaction score
This was my first DIGG. :proud:

I replied in a thread on this subject today, without knowing this was here. I'll go chuck a link in it now.

Good job, Ian!!

Reaction score
ASUS Drivers for Windows 7

Ian, your post regarding Drivers for Windows 7 was clear and concise. Thank you for the simple, organised, and informative post. I have some issues with outdated hardware that probably rules out any quick fix by downloading drivers would resolve. But, I will certainly try this approach to get the most out of the new Windows 7 OS.

I am weighing the economics against the time and trouble to build a new PC from scratch or fork out big bucks on a new ready-made brand name model. I now have a six year old Hewlett Packard a520n of which there is disagreement whether one can upgrade it to 2GB of RAM. I have upgraded the hard drive twice to 320GB, upgraded to !GB of RAM, and I have partitioned the hard drive using Partition Logic.

Since HP uses a custom midtower case (and probably most name brand manufacturers do) in this model it is highly unlikely that I would try to install a new motherboard, CPU, video and graphics cards. etc. in it. A custom build needs to be costed out against a pre-built model.

Also, I have noted that manufacturers are dumping a lot of old stock, some of which on the surface look attractive. However, I have a little trepidation about buying one of these refurbished deals. They may not be as upgradable as the sellers would lead one to believe. I also wonder what condition they may be in even with a one year warranty.

All that said, I know that trying to upgrade a PC with a 2GB RAM limit at most would be foolish in light of the fact that there are some models boasting as much as 32GB of RAM.
I remember when I thought that a 6 GB hard drive would be large enough for many years to come. Now a terebyte drive seems to be the average with a minimum of 4 or even 8 GB of RAM.

The graphics demands of Windows 7 and the use of Virtual PC in XP Mode requires more sophisticated hardware than I could fit into my present configuration. My performance scores on the Release Candidate are between 1.0 and 1.4 on a scale of 4.0, which is abysmal.

I am open to suggestions. I am also new to using this type of forum, so please bear with me if I have become too wordy. Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ken J.
clearwater

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi clearwater - Welcome to the site :ciao:

Here is my two bits worth. One of the things that you need to realize is that your computer is so old that everything needs to be replaced. The Hard drives, optical drives, and PCI cards are all that can be used in the new system. That is if you can find the drivers for them to run under Windows 7.

With this said after all the replacements, You have practically bought a new PC anyway. The only question would be whether you want to build a PC or would you rather buy a name brand PC.

Reaction score
Clearwater,

I've been using forums of this type for 10-12 years, and let me tell you I wish there were more people who are as clear and organized as you are. Too wordy? I say, NAY! You've provided great information, and I have one easy question based on it:

What is your budget?

This will determine whether or not it is economical to build your own. As a person's budget increases--and their expected performance as well--it generally becomes increasingly logical to build your own PC. However, people with a very small budget (say, $500), are usually better off buying an OEM box.

The cutoff is about $600 USD. A cool six hundred is just enough to build a very robust, complete system sans monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS license.

Ian, your post regarding Drivers for Windows 7 was clear and concise. Thank you for the simple, organised, and informative post. I have some issues with outdated hardware that probably rules out any quick fix by downloading drivers would resolve. But, I will certainly try this approach to get the most out of the new Windows 7 OS.

*SNIPPED FOR BREVITY*

Reaction score
Asus Drivers for Windows 7

Hi Thrax,

Thank you for your confirmation of what I have been thinking for a long time. Originally I was just going to use XP until I was forced to use Vista. But now that Windows 7 has arrived I realize that people will probably buy this OS instead of resisting it like they did Vista.

I was thinking of a figure of about $400 to $500 to build a new PC. Even $600 is not unreasonable compared to what we spent on this HP back in 2004. I have never built one but I have torn down this old HP to the frame a couple of times and it still works.

Your post left me feeling like you were reading my mind. My wife and I are on a tight budget now because of medical issues. I just had my sixth back surgery in fewer than five years just last Saturday. I'm doing pretty well already now in just a week's time..

However, the release candidate of Windows 7 doesn't expire until next March, and by then things should have settled down financially and hopefully this is the end of expensive medical costs. My wife is a little freaked out at the bills right now, so it will probably take until late winter to convince her that this is a necessary change and not just a new toy.

I am leaning toward a build rather than paying the extra money for a OEM. Besides, I'm always looking for a challenge to learn more, and I believe I am ready to do it. I always wanted a Dell PC but by the time you customize your build the price comes to the tune of $1,000 - $1,500 or more depending on what you add. The markup is absolutely stupendous.

My one issue is getting all the components to be compatible (motherboards, CPU's, quality PSU's, etc.). I want this one to be right the first time. So, I am doing a lot of research on the internet and collecting data and prices in order to get the quality and performance that I want and still stay withing our budget.

I learned to tear down and rebuild printing presses as part of my apprenticeship in the printing business. Therefore, I will have to remember to apply that kind of skill and confidence to my first build. Any tips are welcome. I'm not too proud to accept good advice.

Thanks again,

Ken J.
clearwater.

Reaction score
Hi clearwater - Welcome to the site :ciao:

Here is my two bits worth. One of the things that you need to realize is that your computer is so old that everything needs to be replaced. The Hard drives, optical drives, and PCI cards are all that can be used in the new system. That is if you can find the drivers for them to run under Windows 7.

With this said after all the replacements, You have practically bought a new PC anyway. The only question would be whether you want to build a PC or would you rather buy a name brand PC.
Thank you clifford_cooley for your advice. I know that my PC is really obsolete. It ran XP just fine and I liked the system, but I hated what I was hearing and observing about Vista.

I felt safe staying with XP, but I think that there will be much less resistance to Windows 7 than there was with Vista. I think the gamers are going to demand a high-tech OS and equipment.

I am going to embark upon my first build. I missed out on the $49 pre-order of Windows 7 through newegg. I wish I had had the money to do it then because I could have bought two OS's for what one will cost now. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

But, a new computer is out, so I must choose the build instead. Windows 7 is actually running on my old HP, but I am missing out on a lot of the features. You're right, I would have to replace everything in this old box in order to get it up to date. That would be a foolish mistake, because I don't think it would work, and in the long run I would have to do a new build anyway. That's just not cost effective at all.

Thank you again for your post reply and helping me to make the right decision.

Ken J.
clearwater

Ask a Question