Anybody watching the meteor showers?

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the meteor showers this week? I watched it a few years ago and was amazed at how many there was... Tonight is supposed to be the best night so I may set the alarm...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/perseids/

Mind you, for those that are old enough to remember I hope this doesn't mean the Triffids will be among us again.....lol.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to head out tonight and try to see these too - although I'm going to have to drive for about 30 mins somewhere just to get away from all the city light. I always miss seeing stars, as I'm so used to living in the middle of a city where you can only see a handful at night. Whenever I head back to my parents in Northumberland (quite rural) I'm always surprised at how many stars are visible.

Day of the Triffids, ah yes I remember that - well a repeat on TV about 10 years ago! ;)

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

you made me realise that with me living in London I perhaps wouldn't see a great deal.. The last time i watched them I was living in a Town called Buxton in Derbyshire, which as i'm sure your aware, is pretty rural.. Northumberland sounds like a lovely place and I've always wanted to go up there walking but just never got round to it.
Where do you live now?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Buxton is probably one of the best places to watch it I guess! Middle of nowhere and very high up :)

I live near Manchester now, so it's quite a contrast to Northumberland. There are some really nice walks in Northumberland, but with the Lake District and Wales so close to Manchester I usually go there for an explore.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I love the Lakes and Wales too.. For many years I was into potholing which took me all over the country. Wales has some very long and beautiful systems especially in the Black Mountains area.

Ask a Question