SOLVED AC'97 front panel, mic not working

Reaction score
Long story:
I had an old frontal panel and I pulled the cable by accident, the conector broke, I got rid of my old panel (big mistake?). Then I got the new panel and tried it, I started having problems, first ground for both usb and audio was shared so I got some audio interference when transfering data on the usb, I fixed that by scratching the PCB and soldering some cables to separate/make the ground work correctly. Then the left side and right side were inverted, I fixed that too (broke audio ground cable in the process but it is working). Now my only problem is that the microphone is not working when connected to the front panel. It's a bit complicated for me to get a new panel internationally (local post office takes 1-3 months to deliver things) and I found a place on my country but it is a bit expensive and I want to be sure it'll work because it is the same model as the one I have now (the one on the pictures).

Short story:
Audio output works perfectly.
The only change from when my mic worked is the panel, every configuration and drivers are the same.
Motherboard asus m5a97 r2.0, (diagram attached is from motherboard manual).
I already tried both HD and AC'97 setting on bios, with the old panel I used AC'97.

For the PCB/motherboard connections:
black = AGND
white = Line out_R
green = Line out_L
red = MIC2 (I already tried connecting it only to MICPWR and to both MIC2+MICPWR)

audio.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mic red cable was faulty on 2 places(middle and near the connector), I just changed it with a piece from an old UTP cable.

For my setup right now I have connected both MIC2+MICPWR on red.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question