SOLVED A good Drive partitioner or Cleaner

Reaction score
I want to wipe out a hard drive that over time has lost space due to being used to test OS tweaking. It's a 350GB drive and only shows 291GB.

It's been years since I have used anything like this, can anyone recommend a good program to use to try and get as much storage back as possible.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Unless anything on the drive is being used by the current OS.

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I wasn't sure if there is anything that maybe does a better job. That mabye makes multible sweeps over the files deleting more of the info allowing the disc to re- gain some of the lost space. Something Disc bootable, becuase I want the hard drive completely clean of anything.

Edit: I should of said, I don't want Windows or anything on it. I am installing it into a friends tower and would like to get the most out of it. He has his own version of windows 7 to install on it.

Free or paided, I don't mind paying if it's a good program. I am sure it will come in handy more then once.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, I used to use Killdisc. I had a paid version, but I can't seem to find it for the life of me.

Thanks again.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can even use a program called File Shredder, or you can use a Windows disc to format, then stop the program from installing after format. I know that you can use a XP Pro disc to accomplish this. With that large drive, it will take a while, unless you choose quick format, which I don't recommend.

Reaction score
If you are simply wanting a clean hard drive for your friend to use. You can delete the partition table and then repartition for you friend. When deleting the partition you will need to format to create the file table.

By the way, I do prefer doing a full format as catilley suggest after re-partitioning.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I'll add another shout out for DBAN. I've used it on more than one occasion to fix a badly partitioned drive and it's not failed me yet.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
A little more about DBAN (Dariks Boot and Nuke)

Dariks Boot and Nuke (DBAN) runs from a Floppy Drive, a bootable CD or DVD disk, or a bootable Flash Drive and securely deletes (wipes) the entire content of the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents / Operating System, Virus / Malware of any type of any hard disk that it can detect. The program is perfect for cleaning a computer before giving it away or selling it. DBAN is used by NASA and the Military for secure deletion.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That looks like a really good program. It would allow all of your info to be erased from the disc beyond recovery. Does it allow the Guttman (35 sweeps) method? This is the method that I use in CCleaner to delete downloads, temporary internet files,etc. I run it every night before I put my computer to sleep.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi catilley1092

Yes DBAN has the Guttman (35 sweeps) method (on the screen shot its second from bottom on the left).

Ask a Question