64 bit users = 32 bit users

Reaction score
Almost half the PCs running Windows 7 are running 64-bit! As of June 2010, 46% of all PCs worldwide running Windows 7 are running a 64-bit edition of Windows 7.
Compared to Windows Vista at 3 1/2 years after launch, only 11% of PCs running Windows Vista worldwide are running 64-bit. With Windows 7, running a 64-bit OS is becoming the norm!
A primary benefit of 64-bit Windows is the increase in addressable memory. This makes more “bits” available to Windows (the OS), which means more information can be “addressed” at once.

32-bit architectures have a memory ceiling of 4GB while the 64-bit architecture increases the memory ceiling to approximately 17.2 billion GB or RAM! Windows 7 is designed to use up to 192 GB of RAM (see SKU and OS comparisons here), a huge jump compared to limits with all 32-bit systems.
Moreover, the price of memory has dropped over the last several years making it easier for OEMs to up the amount of memory in the PCs they ship.
Essentially, 64-bit Windows allows your PC to take advantage of more memory to do more things. Aside from the performance gains, there are also security enhancements and support for virtualization as well.
So 64 bit still not getting importance as far as it was thought.....eh!!!!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost half the PCs running Windows 7 are running 64-bit! As of June 2010, 46% of all PCs worldwide running Windows 7 are running a 64-bit edition of Windows 7.
Compared to Windows Vista at 3 1/2 years after launch, only 11% of PCs running Windows Vista worldwide are running 64-bit. With Windows 7, running a 64-bit OS is becoming the norm!
A primary benefit of 64-bit Windows is the increase in addressable memory. This makes more “bits” available to Windows (the OS), which means more information can be “addressed” at once.

32-bit architectures have a memory ceiling of 4GB while the 64-bit architecture increases the memory ceiling to approximately 17.2 billion GB or RAM! Windows 7 is designed to use up to 192 GB of RAM (see SKU and OS comparisons here), a huge jump compared to limits with all 32-bit systems.
Moreover, the price of memory has dropped over the last several years making it easier for OEMs to up the amount of memory in the PCs they ship.
Essentially, 64-bit Windows allows your PC to take advantage of more memory to do more things. Aside from the performance gains, there are also security enhancements and support for virtualization as well.
So 64 bit still not getting importance as far as it was thought.....eh!!!!

I'm not sure you got the point. 64bit IS taking some importance! Practicly all new computers have a 64bit OS with them. Servers have a 64bit architecture. The world around you is turning 64bit!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
64 bit is getting the "importance" that it (finally) deserves, and it is the norm, rather than the exception. The only exceptions are netbooks, many are shipped with Intel Atom processors, and simply are not capable of running 64 bit OS's. But that will probably change in the future, as it's rumored that the next Windows will not have a 32 bit OS choice at all. Technology is constantly changing, so it's possible for a 64 bit netbook to be in place by then, really it's a matter of the engineers to remake the netbook to run 64 bit OS's. I'm positive that in this age, it not only can, but will be done.

32 bit computing is biting the dust more and more by the day, and it's high time that it's doing so. Probably after XP is no longer supported, many more changes will take place, including the introduction of 128 bit computing, for those who can afford it.

However, 64 bit computing will be the mainstay for many years to follow.

Reaction score
My first 64bit OS was Windows 7 RC when I got it about a year ago. Now, I have full W7 64bit and I wouldn't even think about using 32bit anymore.

Ask a Question