SOLVED 4gb memory but only 2 Gb usable

Reaction score
Hello can someone help, I have 4gb installed but windows is showing 2 gb as usable. Resource mangar shows it "reserved for hadware". I am using windows 7 64 bit and have a ati 5770 with 1Gb dedicate memory. ANy one got any ideas?

Regards

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That should be about normal, here's a Snagit capture of mine:

I have a total of 6GB of RAM

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean to ask. Do you mean that you have a total of 4 GB of RAM, but Windows can't see more than about half of it? Or that it can see it all, but reports that only half is "free" for use?

In the first scenario, you're using 32-bit edition w/o PAE enabled.

In the second...Windows 7 manages memory in a different way from pre-Vista versions, and what seems like a large system footprint isn't really a problem.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Core - He stated he's using a 64 bit Windows 7.

I posted a screen capture of my Resource Monitor so he might understand how it exactly it works. Maybe I'm just confusing him though.

Did you ever get that other computer running for the better half?

Reaction score
Go to START -> Type MSCONFIG in the search box -> Run that program -> Go to the BOOT tab -> Clicked ADVANCED -> Check MAXIMUM MEMORY -> Enter 4096 -> Hit okay as many times as you need to to close the windows -> Restart PC.

Reaction score
Hello

Thanks for all the replys, my resource monitor is different to the one shown. 2gb shaded grey indicating memory is reserved for hardware. 711 mb in use and 1 gb standby and the rest free. I have tried the msconfig but still no change. I tried to paste a screen shot on here but being PC stupid I failed.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Did you install the memory yourself?

Reaction score
No I have only just purchased the PC from a company called Palicomp.

Reaction score
Are you sure its x86-64? Post a screenshot of HWInfo's summary screen. Also crack open the case and inspect the RAM, and in the BIOS.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
bob70932 - go to Computer and right-click on it. The window that pops up will state whether you've got an x64 system. Under the System listing it will state System Type, and that will tell you your bit system you're running.

Your hardware seem to be chewing up a lot of RAM though. If you'll notice mine and Cliff's don't use near that much RAM for the hardware.

You can use the Snipping tool to do a screen capture of the Resource Monitor window.

Reaction score
Another thing I have noticed in bios it only shows 2GB also. I have checked in control panel and it is running 64 bit. I have cracked open the case and two memory card are installed.

Attachments

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I think the RAM is misconfigured somehow, or one of the sticks is bad. Some BIOSes have a setting to stipulate the max payload, maybe it's stuck at 2 GB, if the option exists.

One thing you could do is disabled the quick boot option in BIOS to force it to check the RAM during POST. Or download and run memtest86+.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You might try running MemTest86 for a while and see what results you get.

It's best if you can run it in DOS.

There are also some other good memory testing software out there.

If all else fails, take it back to Palicomp and have fix it because what is going on currently is not a good configuration.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I think I am gonna has a one way conversation with palicomp, and get them to sort it. A little to much for my limited knowledge.

Just on another note, has anyone hear of vdata ram? I think Adata make it.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
All solved, turns out the memory card was not in correctly
Glad you got it corrected! Was the memory sticks not being inserted correctly a fault of Palicomp?

When I first started building systems about 10 years ago, I did a couple of builds where I had not inserted the memory sticks fully into the DIMM sockets. I learned real quick to make sure the sticks were fully inserted and an audible click of the locking tabs on each end of the socket occurred. Also double-checked to ensure the locking tabs were snugged into their notches on the memory sticks.

Did you do this yourself or was it the "techs" at the Palicomp computer store?

Reaction score
Yes seems so, I recognised it the day it was delivered and seeing how I had to push the card with some force I can't see how it could have been dislodged in transit.

I had to call Palicomp for them to guide me in sorting it out. Although on doing so I noticed they had only install one cooling fan (I paid for 2). I would not suggest buy from these chaps to anyone

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
This is one of the many reasons I build my own systems. I can pick and choose the best hardware for the purposes I need.

Plus by shopping around I am able to get the best buy for the buck.

Ask a Question