SOLVED How to use 4Gb of ram in W7 32bit?

Reaction score
I have W7 ultimate 32bit. My computer is notebook, Acer Aspire 5520 with 64bit processor support. Yesterday I have read on the net about how to use 4gb of ram or more in W7 32bit, and I found some guy who claims that is posibile to do that. Here is the link, where I read this: http://windows7themes.net/how-to-use-4gb-ram-in-windows-7-32bit.html
I have done everything he said, and it's not working. Still have 4Gb ram installed, but usable is just 2,75Gb (graphics is using 256Mb ram). That means that Windows are capable to use just 3Gb of ram. The programs that I use needs more than 3Gb of ram, but they are mostly 32bit apps. I tryed them in 64bit W7, and it's not good.
Can anyone tryed to do similar things? Help, please?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would not dispute the informatioin in the link, but I suspect it is mainly cosmetic, and you are still limited. Other members might be able to comment?

The maximum amount of memory for ANY 32 bit operating system is 4GB, the actual amount that it will recognize and utilize is a little over 3GB. So you may be getting the best you can.
In Microsoft's own words, "All 32-bit versions of Windows support up to 4GB of memory, but the actual usable address space will be less than 4GB. The reason for this is that a section of the memory is set aside for memory map interfaces.

This is generally a space that is set aside to ensure driver compatibility and the amount used will vary depending upon the devices installed in the system. Typically, a system with 4GB of RAM will report only 3.5GB of addressable space.
If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB."

Reaction score
I just hoped for an solution, but that's life. Well, the clean custom install of W7 64bit would be the only solution. I was scared of that, because I have to reinstall all my programs, and that's just scary... But thanks anyway!!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Back again. I just had a look at the link. Never heard of that method before.
But it got me thinking. During the Vista Beta days, somer enthusiasts came up with a solution. This would also be appliceable to Windows 7. I have an old Dbase of Vista help and managed to find it. Worth a try. There is also the "undo" tip if it fails to work.

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™
1. Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
3. Restart the computer.
To turn off the 3GB switch
1. Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
3. Restart the computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello again... I've just tryed, and it's not working. It's still 2.75Gb usable, of 4Gb. Thanks again for trying...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In that article it doesn't really say you can use the extra space a usable memory though. It says you can open it up but never says windows can use it; what it says is to set up a ramdisk in that space. A ramdisk works like a diskdrive and you assign it a drive letter like R:. The amount of memory usable by the CPU for normal tasks won't change. In the program you would set it to store the temp files to R:/. Just never store anything there that must be saved long-term because when the computer shuts down, everything in a ramdrive is washed away.

Just install 64-bit, it's worth it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I just hoped for an solution, but that's life. Well, the clean custom install of W7 64bit would be the only solution. I was scared of that, because I have to reinstall all my programs, and that's just scary... But thanks anyway!!!

First of all, installing Windows 7 x64 is not scary, at all.

Reinstalling programs is not that difficult.

Do it and see how much better your system runs, you'll be glad you did.

Ask a Question