152 Bit Wep Encryption not compatible with Windows 7?

Reaction score
Hi all! I am currently using an Emachines Laptop model # E527-2537, running Windows 7 Home Premium X64. I am unable to enter a 152 bit WEP key using the WIndows 7 utility and there does not appear to be a client utility availble for the wireless card. The wireless card is Atheros AR5B95. Other than throwing this thing in the garbage, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The manufacturer (Atheros and the 152bit WEP) deviated from the standard and went to 152bit WEP a few years ago.As they vwere well supported, that was their privilige.
However, since that time WEP has been superseded by WPA and WPA2, which is more secure, does the adapter not have the facility to enter either of those?

Reaction score
davehc, Thanks for the reply! I do have WPA and WPA2 capabilities with this card. Is it just a matter of entering the WEP key into one of these or does the actual network need to be changed from 152 bit WEP to WPA/WPA2?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hi Ryan
does the actual network need to be changed from 152 bit WEP to WPA/WPA2?
Yes both the access point and adapter needs to support WPA or WPA2. If your network doesn't support WPA then your adapter will not be able to connect using WPA. Same goes for WPA2 encryption.

If your network is 152 bit WEP and your adapter does not support this encryption, I believe a secure connection would not be possible.

Reaction score
If your network is 152 bit WEP and your adapter does not support this encryption, I believe a secure connection would not be possible.

That's what I was affraid of. Any idea if there is a utility that I could use to manage the Atheros card instead of allowing Windows to? I tried contacting Atheros directly and they referred me to Emachines who are completely useless. Also scoured the internet and other forums to no avail. Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question